• New York Central Penn Yan Branch

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by K4Pacific

Jim,

I have the 1967 and 68 NYC ETT and several PRR ELmira Branch ETT 1919, 1923, 1925, 1928, 1933, 1949, 1954. I'll look to see if there is any correlation to the interchange. There was no connection. The grade is too steep.
  by bwparker1

I think this thread has firmly cemented the fact that there was no connection between the two lines in Penn Yan... In reading back through it, one possibility is that the Birkett Mills complex received service from both the PRR and the NYC, but off of different spurs that had no real connection. That was the claim by earlier poster LBAGG, that there was an interchange in the area of Birkett Mills.

As always, thanks to K4P for adding his knowledge of the operations in Penn Yan.

- Brooks
  by Noel Weaver

Here is an interesting "tidbit" on this branch. It was one of the last if not the very last mixed train operation on the New York Central and isolated from all other New York Central passenger operations. The timetable dated April 27, 1952 shows it leaving Dresden at 9:00 AM and arriving Penn Yan at 9:30 AM. The return left Penn Yan at 12:05 PM and arrived Dresden at 12:30 PM. It ran on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at that time.
By 1954 it was gone.
Noel Weaver
  by bwparker1

Noel Weaver wrote:Here is an interesting "tidbit" on this branch. It was one of the last if not the very last mixed train operation on the New York Central and isolated from all other New York Central passenger operations. The timetable dated April 27, 1952 shows it leaving Dresden at 9:00 AM and arriving Penn Yan at 9:30 AM. The return left Penn Yan at 12:05 PM and arrived Dresden at 12:30 PM. It ran on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at that time.
By 1954 it was gone.
Noel Weaver
There was mentioned of the mixed train designation in a separate thread that was linked to early in this discussion.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... ht=dresden

One poster noted that the "seat" for sale towards the end was a ride in the caboose... Imagine that in the 1950's!
  by TB Diamond

Passenger service Dresden-Penn Yan was dropped in 1953. This consisted of trains 19 and 20 which operated Tues-Thurs-Sat
  by jayenelee

TB Diamond wrote:Passenger service Dresden-Penn Yan was dropped in 1953. This consisted of trains 19 and 20 which operated Tues-Thurs-Sat
Was their passenger service on what's now known as the Corning Secondary at that time, and If their was, when did that end? Was this Dresden Penn Yan service tied to any schedualled service on that line?
  by poppyl

I think, perhaps, just the opposite was true. Folks took the train from Dresden to PY for shopping and probably to catch the PRR passenger service. I don't have the dates at my fingertips, but passenger service on the NYC Pennsylvania (Fallbrook) Division, at least north of Corning, ended at least 15 years before the PRR ended its service on the Northern.

Poppyl
  by TB Diamond

Passenger service between Lyons and Corning was dropped on 16 December 1935.

The PRR discontinued passenger service between Elmira and Canadaigua on 01 January 1956.
  by poppyl

Thanks, TB, for the specific dates. I was pretty sure that the PRR service ended in 55, but thought the NYC service had ended around 1940. So much for working from memory.

Poppyl
  by jayenelee

Interesting. The old timers around here talked of Pennsy's passenger service, but, other than newspaper clippings, I never heard of passenger service on the "NYC". This is the first time I heard of branchline passenger service continuing longer than mainline...