• Newb... Train Crew to Engineer?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Boosted

Hey guys I have applied at UP for a position as Train Crew. How long does it take for you to you to work your way up from there to conductor and engineer? Can you go from TC straight to engineer?

If this is posted in the wrong section please for give me as I am a noob....
  by Caseyjoenz

Anywhere from 2 to 8 years probably...depending on hiring/retirements/seniority in your terminal.
  by Pj

In my location, some conductors were forced to engineer school with less than a year on the job. Though back in the older days you could hire out into engine service, you spent quite a bit of time as a fireman learning the craft before being quailified as an engineer.

I'd suggest leaving it on the backburner and don't even look at the control stand until you have a few years under your belt. The training itself is typically awarded by bid, based on your senority. Classes for a location can be 6-12 people at a time, and your still looking at getting cut back to a conductor when times are slow due to flowback agreements. The amount of conductors that can go to engine school will depend on location, attrition, business and your senority.

Learn the ground job well first, and learn it well. You will end up being a mentor to new conductors and they will look to you for guidence when making setouts and pickups that they may have not done before, etc.