• Slugs

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by railfan365

A while ago, in another thread, I asked if NYA's use of at least 2 locomotives on every train was to expedite reversing direction, or if the added horsepower was necessary.

In another ealrier thread, I asked if the use of 6 axle lcomotives in heavy freight trains that had the same total horsepower as similar 4 axle locmotives and the preference for MU trains in commuter service was to acheve better acceleration by spreading more total startup power to more axles so that power could be applied faster with less chance of wheel slip. (Due to less hp per axle).

Now I ask: Has any consideration been given to using slugs on NYA trains so that better accceleratoin can be obtained while running fewer fully equipped locomotives on each train, and providing more operational flexibility? Would such a practice be hindered by the limited number of wyes and the extinction of working turntables?
  by Ðauntless

Slugs dont really help with acceleration, there more for low speed switching. Even the CSX and other roads road slugs drop out at a certain speed from what I recall.