• SW Locomotive in TopGear 8/7/2011

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by deandremouse

There was a part of the show on Topgear where they were proving out of 3 pickups which had the best pulling/towing capacity.

The truck that took this challenge was a 2011 Ford F-150 Super duty, pulling a SW locomotive and a difco dump car. The locomotive was Gray and white sayin Venture or something like that. Surprisingly the Ford pulled the heavy locomotive and car with ease.

something interesting I thought id share
  by Eliphaz

the magic of roller bearings.
recalls this famous Timken roller bearing PR stunt, sorry couldnt find a better picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by litz

Unless you've tried this you'd really be surprised.

With roller bearing and flat level ground, it takes a surprisingly small amount of force to get it moving ... just don't try to STOP it once moving.

I run into this all the time with my little Fairmont MT-19 ... it's only 900 lbs. Rolls REAL easy, doesn't stop so easy. And that's a fraction of the weight of the lightest normal rolling stock.

One other thing that will amaze you : how much the slightest amount of anything on the rail adds resistance to rolling. That same little MT-19 is almost unmovable with a teeny little rock under the wheel.

Driving it, on clean rail, effortless to roll. On rail buried in sand/dirt/gravel (e.g., really bad road crossing) it takes huge RPMs to get it going, if you don't stall.

You really don't realize how efficient steel wheel + steel rail is until you gunk it up.

- litz
  by ex Budd man

I routenly use a 24" pinch bar to spot cars on the shop lift. My trainees don't believe a 63 year man can move two 120,000 lb. EMUs with little effort! But put a penny under one wheel and it won't go anywhere!