• PRR Line from Sea Girt West

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by GSC

Anyone notice the "plank road" built next to the ROW from Adelphia Road in Farmingdale, heading toward Freehold?
  by CNJSouDivFan

GSC-

You are a good man, thanks for the attempt. Eitherway I thank you for the information you have already provided. Thanks again in advance!

Sean
  by GSC

Good news, I found the pics of the Sea Girt tower just before it went down. Sept 1971, I think. Give me a bit to scan them and I'll post 'em.
  by CNJSouDivFan

GSC-

Thanks! I cannot wait to see them!

Sean
  by TOMSTV

I 've got this one...
  by CNJSouDivFan

That is a great shot. Such an awesome time for Jersey Shore railroading.
  by GSC

The south-west (Trenton) end of Doodlebug 4666 (which this shot shows) had a horn that "gurgled" like it had water in it. The horn on the other end didn't gurgle. I lived right next to the NY&LB in Neptune City at the time, and heard it go by every weekday, around 6:30 am for the run to Trenton, and about 5:00 pm for the trip back to Red Bank. I always liked the area of Sea Girt Jct., with all the tracks, signal bridge, etc.

Great shot. Have to borrow my daughter's scanner for the tower shots. I'm getting there.
  by TSTOM

Enjoying this thread....

Probably a long shot but does anyone have pics or a link to same of the one-time classic CNJ signal bridge that stood immediately North ( RR East ) of Sea Girt Ave. near old Sea Girt station ? I know this bridge stood until sometime in the early/mid-60's and accommodated 4 tracks....2 sidings plus the 2 mains....with duel targets for each governing Southbound ( RR West ) into the crossovers/junction with the Pennsy line. Up until last Summer, the concrete footings for it were still in place and maybe remain still today.

BTW, anyone ever see a steamer or diesel unit working on these sidings or recall the track layout/switch locations around this location ?

Obviously, the above was most intrigueing to a then youngster falling in love with trains.

Thanks.
  by TOMSTV

Here's a steam loco heading north from Sea Girt Station,1950's
  by CNJSouDivFan

TOMSTV-

Great shot. That is a perspective I have not seen before of Sea Girt.
  by TSTOM

TOM -

Indeed a rare shot ! Judging by the lone auto at the station AND that the steamer appears to be a Pennsy K, my guess is between 1951 and 1955....a little before I reached the age of awareness.

I stand correcting myself on the target configuration on the signal bridge. This is the first photo I've seen showing a freight car actually occupying one of the sidings as well as the freight house still standing.

Got any more gems TOM ?
  by GSC

Great video!

Looking south (west) toward the signal bridge, track layout was (l to r) Track 2 eastbound (northbound), Track 1 westbound (southbound), siding 1 (?) and siding 2. The middle two tracks (westbound 1 and siding 1) switched off to the right to Manasquan, siding 2 merged into siding 1 at the turn. A crossover connected Track 1 to Track 2.

Wish I could draw it here.

There was no wye, just two tracks turning off to Manasquan, and two tracks proceeding toward Bay Head.

Looking west/south at the bridge, the CNJ-style signals were (l to r) one bottom target, three vertical targets, one bottom target, one bottom target.

There's a good track layout pic in Don Wood's "Unique New York & Long Branch" book, of the Doodlebug and an RPO entering the NY&LB at Sea Girt.
  by CNJSouDivFan

That is what I am talking about! WOW, great video Tom. Noticed a New Haven baggage car right behind the K-4. Also, the very end of your video goes to a shot that appears to be inside SG tower. Is that right?
  by TOMSTV

The tape goes on to show the train heading north through Avon,nothing about the Sea Girt jct.tower