• MBTA's newly acquired flanger in service.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

I heard there was a snow removal extra that was operatin on the Old Colony Lines during the overnight last night.

Apparently the T used 2 F40's which sandwiched the MBTA's newly acquired flanger (still in it's original paint and reporting number, but with "MBTX" stenciled over the old "Con-Rail".

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah I actually saw that new snow-remover at Braintree station at 5:17 AM with an F40 locomotive on either end on the new unit. Looked neat, and speaking of F40's in work service, it seems that they have been more frequently used in more non-revenue work service than before.........
  by CSX Conductor

There was another flanger extra yesterday.

It did the Franklin Branch (via the Dorchester outbound) to Forge park, then the Needham & Stoughton Branches.
  by efin98

CSX Conductor wrote:There was another flanger extra yesterday.

It did the Franklin Branch (via the Dorchester outbound) to Forge park, then the Needham & Stoughton Branches.
That explains what I saw near Back Bay station on the Patriots Extra today... Was wondering what was sandwiched between those engines!

by CSX Conductor

Good to hear that somebody rode the Pats extra. I heard that ridership was very low.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

well the train left too late, it got to the staduim at tlike 930, there were already a TON of people there at 7! i would have gone for the ride :-D and the see the Pat's

by efin98

Sparse is an understatement...the crew and the TPD made up a good chunk of the ridership on the Boston section!

by Stephen

FYI,
There is a picture of the flanger in the current (February 2005) issue of Railpace Magazine. Its on page 35.
- Stephen
  by GP40MC1118

It's back at BET this weekend.

D