Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Travelin' Man

I'm trying to determine the routing used by the old Met "L" trains. Can someone provide a route description for the portion of the line between the current portal at Milwaukee Avenue to the signal bridge spanning the Metra tracks. What streets did the former "L" travel over or parallel to and was the structure directly over the street or N,S,E,W of the street. Thanks for your assistance. :wink:
  by doepack

This segment was part of the Logan Square branch of the Metropolitan "L". From its Wells St. terminal downtown, it branched off the main line in the vicinity of Van Buren and Marshfield on the near west side, then ran north along Paulina to Milwaukee Ave, crossing the Lake St. "L", as well as the bridge over the UP/Metra tracks (ex-CNW & Milwaukee Road), which still stands today, and can be seen on Metra's Milwaukee, NCS, and UP/W lines. Today, CTA's Pink line trains use the original "Met" Logan Square branch segment along Paulina between Van Buren and Lake St., however the ROW doesn't run directly over the street, but is instead located about a 1/2 block west...
  by Travelin' Man

Thanks for the response however I need additional information. Recognizing that the existing Metra/UP signal bridge is west of Paulina, did the former "L" line continue northward, parallelling Paulina to the west? At Division, Paulina does a slight jog to the northwest. Would the "L" structure have travelled directly over Paulina to the intersection with Milwaukee or were off-street alleyways used?
  by Travelin' Man

They say a picture is worth a thousand words and in this case I couldn't agree more. The pictures and the alignment shown on a city street map provided the exact information I was seeking. I was curious if the "L" turned directly from Paulina onto Milwaukee or "cut the corner" which, based on the map, it did. Thank you for providing the information!!!!!!
  by tgb1974

I recently published an article on the website Forgotten Chicago called "Remnants of the 'L'," a documentation of some of the known physical remains of demolished parts of Chicago' rail infrastructure. Please check it out and read the other fascinating articles on Forgotten Chicago's website. http://forgottenchicago.com/features/remnants-of-the-l/
  by virtualchuck

I love "Forgotten Chicago" and was always hoping someone would write an article like that; going to read it right now thanks!

Chuck