• Walthers commuter car/amfleet interiors

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by ANDY117

Does anyone make interiors for the Walthers horizon Fleet cars? I am upgrading my MN fleet and was wondering. SAme for amfleet 1's,2's, and Superliners.
  by Mike Roque

I'm an MN modeler with quite a few of these cars myself, but I don't know of anyone who makes interiors.

With the tinted "glazing" on these cars, I'm not sure how visible an interior would be anyway...?

I will tell you this, though. I saw a superdetailed MBTA comet coach on display at a table in Springfield (Not for sale) and I was blown away. The guy did everything...and I mean EVERYTHING. There were painted/colored MU stanchions, lift rings, handrails, MV lenses, weathering, IHP trucks, diaphragms, silver stepwells, step plates under the doors...the works. If you really want to make these cars stand out, super detail them!

I've successfully put a DCC decoder in my CDOT cab car to drive reversing/controllable headlights and taillights, and it looks great! Now, I'm adding decoders and super detailing beyond just the brass air horns on all my cab cars now...

by astrosa

Like Michael said, pre-made interiors aren't available, but it wouldn't be too hard to make your own. Pikestuff sells double seats pre-cast in sets of six, with six sets in each package for 72 total. You'd need 3 packs for every pair of cars to wind up with about the right number of seats. Similarly, Precision Scale offers packages including 80 double and 12 single seats, but they're individual pieces so you need to cement them to a floor made of styrene.

However, also as Michael said, the window glazing is tinted so dark you can barely see out the other side. Unless you plan to light the cars, it's not really practical to add interiors. On a side note, the cars would look a lot better if you remove the windows and cut off the extended edges of the glazing, which will allow you to insert the windows all the way into the shell for a flush fit. A lot can be done with the Walthers models if you take some time and effort.

by ANDY117

Who makes the horns and ditch lights?

by astrosa

Detail Associates makes styrene ditch light castings (#229-1022 for a pack of 4) that are the right type for commuter cars. Light bulbs are not included, but other manufacturers offer those. Details West makes a K5LA horn as well as other types - horns are also available from DA, Cal-Scale, Precision Scale, Custom Finishing and probably others.

In the future, if you have a question like that, try searching the Walthers website. You can find almost anything there.

by ANDY117

I was planning on interior lighting, yes. Looking at the seat color choices, what's in the Bomb cars on MN, and NJT?