Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by twropr

Between Sainte Foy and Toronto on the segments of CN where passenger train speeds in excess of 90 MPH are allowed, is this only for pure LRC consists? Are any of the Renissance (SP) cars allowed to exceed 90? Which locomotives are better suited for the higher speeds -the F40's or P42's?

Thanks!

Andy
  by Ken V

I believe both the LRC and Renaissance cars are permitted to go 100 mph on straight track while the Budd equipment is restricted to 95. The Ren cars are allowed to go slightly faster on curves than the LRCs or Budds since the active tilt on the LRC equipment has been disabled. The F40PH locos are limited to 90 or 95 as well while the P42s are capable of travelling 100.
  by buddah

One other place to note... If you travel west of Toronto VIA will push Amtraks Maple leaf amfleet equipment to the limit as well from time to time.
  by jp1822

buddah wrote:One other place to note... If you travel west of Toronto VIA will push Amtraks Maple leaf amfleet equipment to the limit as well from time to time.
Leaving Toronto, bound for NYC, on the Maple Leaf a couple of years ago, I was amazed at how fast we sped down the line. It seemed to good to be true that we were going that fast! But the Amtrak P42 was given the "road" and we were flying! I remember trying to see what extra cars VIA had around the Toroto coach yard, but I barely spotted the Glenfraser Lounge car, that observation car that VIA purchased from BC Rail (and never put in service), as well as a few other Budd stainless steel cars. It was a Sunday as I recall. We had to be going 100 mph. We arrived at the Niagara Falls Canadian/US border early. I was booked in business class for the whole journey back to NYC, but at the time, VIA didn't recognize the premium business class booking on the Canadian side (it still may not - not sure). Thus there were a few peope seated in business class (that had boarded in Toronto) that had to be moved to the coach cars at the border.