• North Station Headhouse

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BC Eagle

apodino wrote: Its been rumored for some time. The Celtics are upset because they get absolutely 0 money from concessions as it all goes into Delaware Norths pocket, and they have no control over premium seating even for their own games.

Back on topic though, I know that the fleetcenter was built with tight limitations. Are they avoiding the same thing with a replacement on the site by waiting until the green line is demolished?
Wow, can't believe I haven't heard anything about the Celtics situation. I'll still be surprised if they do actually end up moving though.

Green Line demolition on Causeway St. is completely finished.

by Ron Newman

Delaware North would like to build three towers around the FleetCenter, but the only one with an active proposal right now is west of the arena, along Nashua Street.

All Green Line demolition is finished. See this thread for some blow-by-blow history.

by b&m 1566

Ron Newman wrote:It's in Delaware North's interest to have that land developed as soon as possible. It's not producing any revenue for them sitting vacant.

Before the Green Line was demolished, it was not a very marketable piece of land to develop.
I was not aware of the Green Line having to take away market price of the land where the Boston Garden once stood. Well now with the Green Line moved under ground we should see some action taking place in that area very soon, prehaps this summer coming up or the fallowing summer, so maybe the MBTA will get the "headhouse" that was orginally planed.
  by Porter Sq

New HeadHouse is open finally.This morning the up esclator was broken byt fixed by this afternoon
  by BC Eagle

Porter Sq wrote:New HeadHouse is open finally.This morning the up esclator was broken byt fixed by this afternoon
The escalators and elevators at North Station seem to be perpetually broken. There always seems to be atleast one escalator or elevator at this station that is out of service. Any ideas?

by Porter Sq

One reason maybe because our great state we have to take the lowest bidder on a project other than that most of the time somebody hits the emergency stop for the esleator and it takes awhile for someone to reset it.

by Ron Newman

This is why the emergency stop should be a toggle switch (that can easily be turned back to the on position without a key) rather than a push button. That is how I remember them in department store escalators when I was a kid....

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:This is why the emergency stop should be a toggle switch (that can easily be turned back to the on position without a key) rather than a push button. That is how I remember them in department store escalators when I was a kid....
There's probably a reason they are a button and not a switch... and if someone thinks they should be out of easy reach then I doubt they have been in a situation where one was needed.
  by Ron Newman

Yep, it's open. I don't know why they used automatic sliding doors, though; regular doors that you push or pull are much easire to maintain, and will still work if there is a power failure.

The first sign that you see when you walk out of the FleetCenter says NORTH STATION in black on white. Shouldn't there be two such signs, stacked on top of each other, one white on orange, the other white on green?
  by ithjames

Ron Newman wrote:Yep, it's open. I don't know why they used automatic sliding doors, though; regular doors that you push or pull are much easire to maintain, and will still work if there is a power failure.

The first sign that you see when you walk out of the FleetCenter says NORTH STATION in black on white. Shouldn't there be two such signs, stacked on top of each other, one white on orange, the other white on green?
That would make too much sense for the T.
  by octr202

ithjames wrote:
Ron Newman wrote:Yep, it's open. I don't know why they used automatic sliding doors, though; regular doors that you push or pull are much easire to maintain, and will still work if there is a power failure.

That would make too much sense for the T.
Meanwhile, the one new station that should really have automatic doors (Airport) does not. Sigh...

I can only assume that someone else is paying for the headhouse at North Station. I recall hearing, in response to the door choice at Airport, has said it will not put in any automatic doors, for maintenance reasons. Maybe this was just to explain why they did that at Airport. Maybe if we had a little more maintenance, and a little less artistry, we'd get some functional stations.

by NRGeep

It certainly gets cold in "North Station" this time of year... :(

by ithjames

The T really does go all out on making fancy, artsy looking stations and also spending all kinds of $$$ on that too instead of making low-key, functional stations that work and have automatic doors and the neccessities that are needed. Another example are the silver line stops and the new B.U. stops, we don't need artsy looking stations just functional ones that are half way decent looking.