• Things to see in Atlantic City (was: New Jersey)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by railroadlover

In July I am going to be going on vacation to Atlantic City. I was wondering if you could give me some insight of must sees. I love seeing historic equipment and such. But any information would be awesome.

Site admin note: please use more specific titles. "New Jersey" in the New Jersey forum isn't very specific. Thanks!
  by mtuandrew

Welcome, railroadlover! I think you have the wrong subforum though - I'm going to move your post to New Jersey Railfan, so it gets a better response.
  by railroadlover

awesome thanks
  by waldwickrailfan

railroadlover wrote:In July I am going to be going on vacation to Atlantic City. I was wondering if you could give me some insight of must sees. I love seeing historic equipment and such. But any information would be awesome.
there isnt much i know of in AC. however there is an NJT line that ends there. on weekends you can see ACES. usually 4 cars with a GP40-2B on the end. ACES is 4407 or 4409 with 4 multilevels and a P40.
  by njtmnrrbuff

NJT's Atlantic City's Rail Line's terminal is in Atlantic City. I haven't been down there in almost a decade and a half. I think the photo angles at the terminal are so so. You might want to one day, take a trip to the Philly area to railfan. You have a lot there; Amtrak, Septa, freight, and NJT. It's about an hour and a half ride.
  by alewifebp

If you are looking for history, you won't find much railroad related history in AC. The terminal is quite new. You could take the ACL to Lindenwold and ride the relatively historic PATCO equipment. You'll find much more of interest in Philly.
  by JasW

What happened to the old Union Station, the one they turned into a bus terminal?
  by glennk419

JasW wrote:What happened to the old Union Station, the one they turned into a bus terminal?
The old PRSL stations in Altantic City are history. The PRSL station at 10th Street and Haven Avenue in Ocean City still stands and is in active use as the NJT bus station.

As far as historic collections, the only two places in South Jersey would be the CMSL/URHS equipment stored in Tuckahoe and on the SRNJ in Winslow. The station and tower at Tuckahoe have both been nicely restored. Just be advised that both locations are still on active (although not necessarily busy) rail lines and trespassing must be avoided.
  by JasW

That must be a fairly recent (10-20 years) development, no? I see from looking for the AC bus terminal on Google Maps that one is still there, but while it's more or less in the same place, it's not the old PRSL station. I'm presuming it succumbed to the outlet mall or whatever it is they built right there. That's truly a shame. There are some nice pics of the station in its bus station incarnation here.
  by glennk419

JasW wrote:That must be a fairly recent (10-20 years) development, no? I see from looking for the AC bus terminal on Google Maps that one is still there, but while it's more or less in the same place, it's not the old PRSL station. I'm presuming it succumbed to the outlet mall or whatever it is they built right there. That's truly a shame. There are some nice pics of the station in its bus station incarnation here.
The new terminal opened in 2004 adjacent to where the previous station building stood. While it is about half the size of the old train station, they did maintain some of the elements including the long ceiling lamps (which are smaller reproductions of those in Philadelphia's 30th Street Station) and the clock.

http://www.bridgeandtunnelclub.com/bigm ... /index.htm
  by railroadlover

Thanks Everyone For Your Help! I am from Philly Area so I have been to most of the Hotspots in Philly..

I am always extremely smart when taking pictures..I make sure its from a safe point and always use Common Sense (Expect A Train at anytime in any direction)