• How to Kill a Proposed Passenger Rail Service

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by atlantis

Did you know that some folks may be helping to kill proposed passenger rail, and not realize it?
Admittedly, I've been guilty of some of the actions in the past, until I studied my actions and learned from them. please read and learn...

1. Don't attend meetings about new passenger rail plans.

2. Don't write your local elected officials or the Governor. (e.g. lack of a loud voice for Cape Rail)

3. Fall for and repeat the mantra: "It'll never happen." (happening here on Cape) And guess what? It never happens!

4. Be intimidated when a politician yells at you for suggesting rail. This actually happened once. While at a meeting of the Cape Cod Transportation Task Force a few years back, a former member of the Marthas Vineyard Commission told a colleague and myself that the day after he spoke about the need to restore passenger rail to Falmouth, in order to encourage people to leave their cars at home for the trip to Vineyard; state representative Eric Turkington (D-Falmouth) who is anti-rail, allegedly called this member, (who I'll refer to as "Dr. Smith" from "Lost in Space", the coward) and yelled at him "How dare you suggest rail service to Falmouth!" the day after he spoke eloquently about rail. I have to use the word "allegedly" as I didn't hear Mr. Turkington say this himself. But Dr. Smith spoke to us in hushed whispers about the incident, and made no further public comments about Cape Rail!

5. Fall for the opposition's claims that rail service will,"bring bad people"
or that "People will want to get around when they get here." By that same logic, we shouldn't have bus, air, or high-speed ferry service.

6. Accept the opposition's claim that it will "cost to much". The cost of a proposed rail service to the Cape, which would be run by a public-private sector partnership, would be a fraction of the cost of the Sagamore Flyover, as well as providing an additional transportation choice for NON drivers.

7. Be fooled by claims that rail service will "harm the environment and cause population increases." When the original Cape Rail service ended in the 1960's the Cape had a fraction of the population as it does today.
When rail service was restored briefly in the 80's', there was no adverse affect on population or the environment. The population increase here happened in the absence of rail and the increased air pollution is the result of our forced dependency on the automobile.

The above is just a partial list. Also, the proposed low-cost rail service has been languishing in the State House since 2001, while the Sagamore Flyover has been pushed through with reckless abandon.

You may have or own ingredients to this "recipe"

just my $0.02 :wink:

by Buzz

righteous dude! koudn't hav said it better dude!

by Noel Weaver

The lack of rail passenger service was the biggest reason that I ruled out
Cape Cod for retirement a few years ago. At least in the summer time
all I could think of was a miserable long ride by either car or bus to
Boston if I wanted to go somewhere.
If any place anywhere needs rail passenger service, it is Cape Cod.
Maybe Falmouth is out but Hyannis sure is in need.
Noel Weaver

by njtmnrrbuff

There should be rail service to at least Hyannis. Those roads and bridges on the cape have so much traffic. We used to go to the cape a lot for some time, stopped, and then started up again.

by atlantis

Although Falmouth may be out, there is a clause in the current "railbanking" that states that if the right-of-way is needed for rail service, it can be reclaimed. While that may be a challenge, it's important that rail service be returned to Hyannis at the earliest possible time.
We can always fight the "brush fires" later. The main thing is to get the trains to the Cape first.
I think that some people can be excused for their apathy as this state, IMHO, deceived the people by telling us for years, "The trains are coming back, the trains are coming back, the trains are coming back"etc.
This mantra has been repeated since the seasonal rail service in the 80's ended due to the state budget crisis, not ridership. By then, Governor Michael Dukakis left office, and a slew of anti-rail governors succeeded him.
None of the Cape politicians, IMHO, are either anti-rail at worst, or neutral at best. This includes a former state rep who, also IMHO, pretended to be for rail service throughout the 90's, and now supports the Flyover. (I'm being generous by not mentioning this person's name, although if this individual hinders our cause, and makes it a matter of public record, that may change.)
The point is, although it certainly helps to have pro-rail elected officials on our side, it all boils down to us making the necessary noise to enact change. I've e-mailed Governor Romney asking him to support Cape Rail. The e-mails, of course, were never answered, but if enough people gave the impression to the state that we mean business, things could happen.
Suggestions: Write or e-mail the Governor.

Write or e-mail your local officials, even if he/she is anti-rail.

Get a group of your friends and neighbors who want rail service and have them do the same.

Write letters to the editor in the Cape Cod Times or other newspapers.

These actions, however small, can have a big impact if taken by enough people.

by atlantis

Although Falmouth may be out, there is a clause in the current "railbanking" that states that if the right-of-way is needed for rail service, it can be reclaimed. While that may be a challenge, it's important that rail service be returned to Hyannis at the earliest possible time.
We can always fight the "brush fires" later. The main thing is to get the trains to the Cape first.
I think that some people can be excused for their apathy as this state, IMHO, deceived the people by telling us for years, "The trains are coming back, the trains are coming back, the trains are coming back"etc.
This mantra has been repeated since the seasonal rail service in the 80's ended due to the state budget crisis, not ridership. By then, Governor Michael Dukakis left office, and a slew of anti-rail governors succeeded him.
All of the Cape politicians, IMHO, are either anti-rail at worst, or neutral at best. This includes a former state rep who, also IMHO, pretended to be for rail service throughout the 90's, and now supports the Flyover. (I'm being generous by not mentioning this person's name, although if this individual hinders our cause, and makes it a matter of public record, that may change.)
The point is, although it certainly helps to have pro-rail elected officials on our side, it all boils down to us making the necessary noise to enact change. I've e-mailed Governor Romney asking him to support Cape Rail. The e-mails, of course, were never answered, but if enough people gave the impression to the state that we mean business, things could happen.
Suggestions: Write or e-mail the Governor.

Write or e-mail your local officials, even if he/she is anti-rail.

Get a group of your friends and neighbors who want rail service and have them do the same.

Write letters to the editor in the Cape Cod Times or other newspapers.

These actions, however small, can have a big impact if taken by enough people.