• East Cambridge/Somerville yard and roundhouse

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by CAMB.MASON

Came across this photo in my collection today, it is marked East Cambridge 1957. Just thought I would post for those that may remember or not, how busy East Cambridge/Somerville was at one time.
  by jaymac

CAMB.MASON-
Thanks for making me feel both younger and taller. Before the term "repurposing" became popular, it sure looks like the roundhouse had been repurposed. Getting the turntable out of there, unless it was in small pieces, must have been "interesting."
  by TPR37777

That picture truly leaves me breathless......can someone help me orient myself to the view? Would that be today's Inner Belt Road, and is that the Fitchburg main leaving in the upper right or the Eastern? Also where would the hump yard be in the picture?
  by jaymac

TPR37777-
The smokestack in the center of the photo marks Boston Engine Terminal -- the old one -- and the Budd House stands in front and to the south of it. The Hump Yards -- 8 and 9 -- are out of frame to the left. Spend some time surfing your choice of USGS Topo historic sites, using the loop of track with the empty space at the left as an initial landmark, and some of the complexities of the old B&M in and around Boston will emerge.
Since none of it is visible, I'm guessing that that the T's Lechmere Viaduct was the camera platform. It's also possible a helicopter was used.
  by 130MM

TPR37777 wrote:That picture truly leaves me breathless......can someone help me orient myself to the view? Would that be today's Inner Belt Road, and is that the Fitchburg main leaving in the upper right or the Eastern? Also where would the hump yard be in the picture?
To futher answer your question that is the Western Route and Eastern Route curving out of the picture in the upper right. Tower C can be seen at the far end of the curve. The road bridge in the distance after that curve is Cambridge St. at what is now the Orange Line Sullivan Sq. station. The High Line Bridge can be seen poking out from behind the power house. Inner Belt Road had yet to be built. The Fitchburg Main Line crosses the picture in front of the line of Budd cars, and behind the line of boxcars opposite them. Tower H is out of the picture to the left.

DAW