• Mystery Photo: MEC high-hood Alco

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Otto Vondrak

Can anyone help identify this location? Taken February 1963. MEC 952 was an Alco HH660, built September 1939. It had no MU capability and was scrapped at Waterville Shops in 1969.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BR4

St Johnsbury VT yard. MEC switchers were used there for a short period before CP took over providing
switchers for CP, B&M and MEC use, if I recall correctly.
  by douellet

That photo does not look to be taken in February in northern Vermont. Those high hoods Alcos must have been tough old locos. I got to ride on S-4 1055 at the DSRX last Saturday and it's over 60 years old and still going.
  by shadyjay

I saw the photo and instantly thought St J, before I read any other comments, but definitely NOT February - more like September, going by the foliage.
  by Otto Vondrak

douellet wrote:That photo does not look to be taken in February in northern Vermont.
Processing date stamped on the slide mount was FEB 1963. So I guess it could have been taken any time...