Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Lady Penelope

I saw two trains that I thought were odd, and out of the ordinary. The first train was inbound into Union Station with NPCU #90221 and P42DC #194 pulling a Superliner Sightseer Lounge, a Baggage Car in Phase III, and a Horizon Coach.The other train had P42DC #121 leading P32-8BWH #519 pulling a Superliner Sleeping Car, Dining Car and a Sightseer Lounge. Does anyone know what trains they were? They were moving on the tracks on the right.

Another thing I noticed, some METRA trains coming from the coach yard (I assume), that would stop , sets switches, and proceed into Union Station. The engine (F40PH, F40PHM-2 or MP36PH-3C) would be silent, and can hear what sounded like a generator. Were they being powered by an auxiliary power generator when moving around the yard?

Also there was a BNSF switcher there #3533 performing switching work with METRA trainsets. Did METRA loan the switcher or does BNSF have a contract for switching the METRA trains?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
  by etna9726b

Perhaps National Train Day exhibits coming home / being relocated ?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Lady Penelope wrote:Also there was a BNSF switcher there #3533 performing switching work with METRA trainsets. Did METRA loan the switcher or does BNSF have a contract for switching the METRA trains?
Ms. Penelope, while I am reluctant to respond to a METRA related inquiry at an Amtrak forum posted at a site where adherence to the posted topic is expected, allow me to do so "short and sweet".

The "METRA" trains you observed are actually BNSF trains; the BNSF locomotive noted was simply performing yard duties in its own yard. The Regional Transportation Authority (with its rail operations "dba METRA") and BNSF Ry, LLC. have entered into a contract in which BNSF will provide passenger rail services under a Purchase of Service Agreement. Employees, be they Operating, Shop Craft, and even police, are all employees of the BNSF. The METRA liveried equipment observed is owned by the RTA, and is leased to the BNSF. Older equipment originally acquired by predecessors CB&Q and BN is lettered BNSF Ry. There is a similar contractual agreement between RTA and the UP for operation of former C&NW trains, however UP seems to keep their identity more "under wraps' than does BNSF. Other METRA lines are more so METRA trains as they are operated through a subsidiary, the NICR, of the agency.
  by AMTK1007

My guess in regards to the train you saw with the Phase III " Baggage" is that it was train 851, The Hoosier State from Indianapolis ( Beech Grove) to Chicago. that "Baggage" was a Baggage car but is now a buffer car, used between Superliners and low level equipment. It has either a Tube Type diaphragm or No diaphragm so as to be compatible with the high diaphragms on the superliners. Trains 850 & 851 is used to transport equipment between Chicago and the shops at Beech Grove, Indiana
  by Otto Vondrak

Lady Penelope wrote:Another thing I noticed, some METRA trains coming from the coach yard...
Try this forum for your Metra-related questions: http://railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=61