• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by mbta1051dan

Wonder which engine was responsible for the commuter's worst nightmare....
  by octr202

Doesn't that sound a lot like what happened to one of the GP40MC's in Waltham one night this past winter (which resulted in one of those infamous 3-4 hour commutes that got so much media attention)?
  by MBTA1052

Must be thinking of 1052 that took four or so hours to get to Worcester poor engine.But where was 1138 heading to anyway judging by the time of departure it was heading Needham??
  by Hoopyfrood

octr202 wrote:Doesn't that sound a lot like what happened to one of the GP40MC's in Waltham one night this past winter (which resulted in one of those infamous 3-4 hour commutes that got so much media attention)?
Was that a circuit board also? I can't remember now, though I was on the trailing set that pushed into Acton and listening to it all at the time. I do remember that some of the time lost was because they were trying really hard to get it going again to avoid pushing, and it just REFUSED to cooperate.
  by mbta1051dan

Yeah that was the 1139 sister unit! That's the problem with these GP40MCs one thing goes wrong with the electronics or computer systems and you can't move the engine. At all.
  by jaymac

1138 may have been a villain on southside on 05-11, but on 05-13-2011 -- and Friday at that -- 1138 seemed to have redeemed itself by giving a shove to 1000 and the rest of 418 -- or at least the equipment on 418's time -- and getting it east of the Ayer platform at 1147. Anyone know if 100 was having trouble or if it was just a way of getting power east?
  by GP40MC1118

More like the 1000 as a "protect" engine for the 1138. Much like the other double-header operating last
night and today - 1127 & 51.
  by MBTA1052

Not to run off topic but how long has the SmartStart been around?? I also remember 1030 had a SmartStart on #821 to Providence a short time after coming back from MPI!!
  by davidp

Driving westbound from Boston on the Mass Pike last night around 10:30 I passed two combined MBTA trainsets stopped at the Auburndale platform. The cab car had neither headlights or marker lights on, and none of the coaches appeared to be lit. Anyone know what was going on?
  by mbta1051dan

My dad saw the same thing, he said it looked like 1062 and 1068.
  by FatNoah

Looks like trouble on the Worcester line this morning. At 8:18 I saw one inbound train pushing another past the Stop & Shop near Beacon Park. I was driving the opposite way on the turnpike, so I wasn't able to get any engine numbers.
  by bierhere

P502 was canceled, and P504 was late according to the MBTA website. The announcements on-board told us that the train sets for P502/P504 never made it to Worcester and that were actually on the P506 set running into Boston.