Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

by Spokker

Looks like a bunch of *** to me.

mod note: please keep it clean, thanks.
  by Fan Railer

hey! with the new cars that bart is ordering in 2010, we might actually see a huge reduction in seating in favor of introducing cushioned leaning pads down the middle of the car.
  by espeefoamer

I think that's a great idea.Have fun going to work and keep fit at the same time! It's a win-win situation. :-D
  by lensovet

dunno, i can't imagine doing a pittsburg->sf or east bay->millbrae commute without seats.
  by superbad

was in SF a week ago and we took BART from Embarcadero to Berkley around noon and I can confirm that indeed, we had to stand the whole way in both directions.
  by drewh

Even in the 80's my commute from Montgomery to Walnut Creek required standing some portion. Many of us would reverse ride to Civic Centre and then change back to the Concord trains to ensure a seat.
  by tommyboy6181

superbad wrote:was in SF a week ago and we took BART from Embarcadero to Berkley around noon and I can confirm that indeed, we had to stand the whole way in both directions.
Thats not too bad actually, only around a 21 min ride each way. Now, Embarcadero to Pittsburg/Bay Point would be a whole different story at about 52 minutes. :D
  by kaitoku

Ah, the conundrum of a seat for every passenger vs. increased capacity. Of course, if BART was actually designed competently, you would have passing tracks at stations and thus be able to have a variety of services to match passenger demand and needs (i.e. expresses, skip stop services, zone commuter expresses, etc.). Then you would have trains with comfy seats for services serving the outer suburbs, and the high capacity ones w/less seating on the locals or inner services, as BART, though nominally a subway, is also a suburban commuter line.