• Fitchburg RR Picture question

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Leo Sullivan

Can anyone name the station in this Fitchburg RR picture?
The negative envelope has no information. It appears to be a major junction.
I could guess but, would rather hear from someone who knows.
Thanks,
LS
  by jaymac

Rumors to the contrary, I'm not old enough to have been there then, but it sure looks to me like Greenfield, with the Conn. River tracks in the background. Even with the best flashing in the world, that complex a roof must have been leak-prone.
  by BigLou80

jaymac wrote:Rumors to the contrary, I'm not old enough to have been there then, but it sure looks to me like Greenfield, with the Conn. River tracks in the background. Even with the best flashing in the world, that complex a roof must have been leak-prone.
I was going to say it looks a lot like greenfield too, but did greenfield exist in the days of the fitchburg railroad.
that roof is not that complex, back then tradesmen were craftsmen that knew what they were doing.
  by jaymac

BigLou80-
Thanks for another side to add to Bookmarks. The reverse angle shows how much the framers earned their pay, especially w/o power tools.
  by dcm74

BigLou80 wrote:
jaymac wrote:Rumors to the contrary, I'm not old enough to have been there then, but it sure looks to me like Greenfield, with the Conn. River tracks in the background. Even with the best flashing in the world, that complex a roof must have been leak-prone.
I was going to say it looks a lot like greenfield too, but did greenfield exist in the days of the fitchburg railroad.
that roof is not that complex, back then tradesmen were craftsmen that knew what they were doing.
Greenfield was incorporated as a town in 1753. The Vermont & Massachusetts RR reached Greenfield in the 1850's. The V&M was leased to the Fitchburg in 1874 and the Fitchburg was leased to the B&M in 1900.
  by BigLou80

dcm74 wrote:
BigLou80 wrote:
Greenfield was incorporated as a town in 1753. The Vermont & Massachusetts RR reached Greenfield in the 1850's. The V&M was leased to the Fitchburg in 1874 and the Fitchburg was leased to the B&M in 1900.
I grew up in Greenfield, I am aware Greenfield the town was in existence. What I was trying to say is I always heard of the train station called " Boston and Maine union station" I was under the wrong impression ( until I did a little research and saw your post this morning) the station was built by the B&M and would have seen" B&M "trains not "Fitchburg RR" trains. I now see it was built in 1881 and enlarged in 1893. I am going to guess that picture is pre 1893 as the large shelter roof is not yet constructed.

I guess I will refrain from sending replies while falling asleep.

Anyways are we all in agreement that picture is from Greenfield ?
  by Leo Sullivan

That sounds good. I did find a postcard similar to the one BigLou posted but,
thought I'd wait to see what was said. Thanks for the assistance..
LS