• Derailment in New england

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

when was the last time a CSX train derailed in New England?

by DutchRailnut

derailments happen daily, just not always severe enough or to point of inconveniencing town or railroad.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

o yea , thats true, ok i will reworkd my question, when was the last time there was a big, derailment in New england that everyone heard about it

by CSX Conductor

The last collision that I know of was a rear-ender in West Spingfield, about 2 or 3 months ago. Engineer of the second train 'dumped it' @ 12MPH and they actually made the hitch onto the rear flat car of the train ahead @ 6 MPH according to what we were job-brief regarding the incident. Luckily no injuries and no derailment.

As Nip said, many derailments happen but at a smaller scale, sometimes so minor that upper management never finds out.

by ST214

Last major one would probabally be when they were pushing cars back to the P&W in Worcester, and they blocked both tracks.

Conrail had a major one where a bridge collapsed and a TV train with doublestacks slammed into it. Happened in Palmer.

by matthewsaggie

"As Nip said, many derailments happen but at a smaller scale, sometimes so minor that upper management never finds out."

This raises the question in my mind as to what are the reasons. I have heard for years about small derailments in yards, sidings, etc. But why?? Poor track, poor switching, equipment failures or what. Please explain to a layman some of the causes you have seen out there. Thanks.

by CSX Conductor

sometimes it's the track, due to wide gauge or something else.

but most of the time on sidings and in yards derailments are usually "Human Factor Derailments", which mean that they were the result of an employee making a mistake (i.e. lined wrong switch, or did not drop a derail). another one would be where a crew runs through a switch, didn't report it and then another crew goes over the switch in the other direction, picks the switch and derails.