Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
  by RaysDaughter

Hello everyone,
I am looking for some help trying to find information about my family that worked for the B&O. I know, you are all rolling your eyes and saying "Ug, another genealogist" So, I'll apologize now, but still ask my questions. My Dad, granddad, great granddad, great, great granddad and some great, great uncles ALL worked for the B&O. My dad worked at the Riverside shop, he talked about it all the time and he LOVED his time there working on the steam engines. This was in the early 50's. My granddad and one great, great uncle were engineers for the B&O. This particular great, great uncle was killed in a horrific train accident in Dorsey, Maryland in 1937, of which I have the original newspaper clipping, thanks to my dad who saved it. He was crushed to death in that accident. Here is where my frustration lies.....whenever I go to any site that is affiliated with the B&O, and search for this event, Riverside shop, or any of my family, I get nothing. I have even tried looking for train accidents, and I get nothing. (This is how I found YOUR site, through my searching) I know that B&O says a lot of their records were lost with the CSX buy, I get that...but you would think that SOMEWHERE they would be something. My family name is Pope, Raymond H, Raymond W, Dudley, Elmer, Wade, Sylvester, and in laws last name of Baumiller. The engineer that died was Elmer Pope. If there is anyone that may be able to help me, point me in the right direction to finding some info, I would be very grateful.
As I said above, my dad loved his steam engines and he loved the B&O, and I feel very proud of the fact that I have such a long family history with the B&O.
So, thank you for reading and hopefully, I will here from someone soon!
  by shlustig

It's the first B&O Report for 1937.
  by Aa3rt

This link should get you directly to the report in question:

http://ntl1.specialcollection.net/scrip ... e&rn=2124"