• How many GP7, GP9, 3-axle engines left?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NellsChoo

We were watching a video of Guilford shot in 1991 the other day, and were wondering:

Just how many GP7s, GP9s and 3 axle engines are left on Guilford's current roster? I think only three of the SD26 fleet are alive, but how about the big 3-axle engines? I thought there were more around, but haven't seen many lately. The old Geeps are ultra nifty, but are they all in Maine? Never get to see the Deerfield switchers any more :(

Can anyone update me?

Jonelle

http://www.newenglanddepot.homestead.com/guilford.html

by NYNE

I saw a pair of old geeps working East Deerfield two weeks ago. I don't know if they were GP-7s or 9s. They were Springfield Terminal units and working as a pair.

by bar358

Recently I have seen 12, 15, 45, 52, 54, 62, 72, 77 between Waterville and NMJ.

Matt

by NellsChoo

Pretty sure the Deerfield switchers are GP9s. We have had bad luck recently with train watching, and only see them sitting.
  by ProRail

Six Axle units that are still active:
SD26: 619, 621 & 643
SD38-2: 690
SD45: 681

Generally found in East Deerfield to Rotterdam Jct. road service.

by NellsChoo

Oh my... how things change!
  by MEC407

ProRail wrote:Six Axle units that are still active:

SD38-2: 690
That unit is an SD39, not an SD38-2.

by mick

Yes, SD45 681 is back from Waterville deadlines, was working in Lowell on 10/31.

by camster202

As of Nov. 10 ST 621/643 are running around together, went from CSXT local B765 up to Bow and are reportedly going to be bringing the empty coal train back. I heard somewhere that the 619 was dead...

I was also told from a friend at Guilford that since G wants to do away with the six axle engines, once they stop running, they stop running. Unless it's something real cheap, I don't think that you'll be seeing any more six axle power in the next year. I can see where Guilford is coming from here, too. With most of their lighter trackage up in Maine, they're better off just having a fleet of four axle engines--BUT--it isn't rocket science to keep six axles running between Rigby-Rotterdam Junction. Plus, I don't think Fink finds any issue in taking NS power and have it running around for weeks on the system either.

by mc367

How often do they end up in East Deerfield? Weren’t these locomotives shut down and side lined a few years ago?

-Justin Franz

by nhguy21

I don't believe they have ever been sidelined totally. They took a lot of gp-7's out of service a few years ago, partly because of the type of brakes. 26L's I think are remaining.

Most run in Maine out of Waterville on the lite track to the mills. But atleast 1 pair is at EDY as the hump switcher. Once and a great while you will find them on a road freight.

Josh

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

When did thier lone SD35 get retired?

Thanks

by doublebell

ST 614 was scrapped at Waterville in 1996.
John Collins

by camster202

NH guy is right. I believe 12, 15, 45, 51, 52, 54, 62, 71, 72, and 77 remain in service. I see ST 72 on ED-2 when it brings coal empties to Gardner as well as on the East Deerfield east end hump switcher. I haven't seen 45, 51, or 62 in ages so I would presume they're up at least on the Madison Branch.

As for the 7's, GP7 15 was in Wells a month or so ago. Kudos go to MEC407 for the tipoff that it was there.