• Rumor du jour: Electric Engines

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by ryanov

CSX Conductor wrote:
ryanov wrote:When new coaches are purchased (as, to my knowledge, was done somewhat recently), why not certify them to 100? Perhaps it doesn't make as much difference, being that local trains might not be able to hit 100 anyways, but is there a major cost savings with a lower MAS?
One reason: The maximum timetable speed on any commuter line except for the Attleboro Line is no more than 70MPH.
Makes sense, but... seems to me that it probably doesn't cost much different (I could be wrong here, but Im pretty sure there is little difference) and then you'd eventually end up with a faster fleet if you needed it. Much of NJT's territory is 80 or below -- the only fast railroad is the NEC and I suppose parts of the Atlantic City line...

Secondly: The likelihood of coaches made for up to 100mph staying together and no being in a consist with the cars limited to 80MPH.
Still., though, you'd eventually end up with a fleet of 100 mph cars, rather than just a few. Buying more 80 mph cars means you will always have an 80 mph railroad (even though one of your lines is capable of supporting 125).

Anyone know if it costs much more to have cars certified for 100?
  by Robert Paniagua

MODERATOUR'S NOTICE

All righty guys, I think everybody needs to be good, so this topic will have to be closed for now.

Thanks