• Weather and Switching

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by tushykushy

There has been almost no activity or discussion as of late....

How has the weather been treating you guys so far this winter? What jobs in particular have been a little more difficult due to the weather being cold (at least nowdays) and the up and coming storm this weekend?

by Knife-Switch

I've noticed that when the Mercury dips below 50 Degrees, the number of railfans drops dramatically.

For those of you interested in careers in freight let me remind you that to the company cold means nothing!!!! To quote a great rail philosopher....

THE FREIGHT MUST GET THROUGH
  by freightguy

The weather is alright and crews are dealing with it just like all the other railroads across the Northeast. The coldest chill seems to come from world headquarters these days. :wink:

by tushykushy

Knife... you know your boys came out during hurricane Bertha to catch your train right? :P

I know this photo is ruined (although I have another version of this picture, touched up a lot in Photoshop) due to the massive amount of rain and wind that smacked right into the lense, but all the photos we got that night were trouble.

On a side note, are there any jobs in particular that royally stink to switch at due to inclimement weather? When I chase the RS-60 occasionally, I know if its going to pour, almost every place they switch at is going to be very muddy.

by emfinite

I think switching out Waste Management royally stinks. Can anyone confirm?

by lirrmike

Stink as in pew-pew or it sucks?! LOL.

Mike

by DogBert

I'd imagine switching bushwick both smells in terms of the trash facilities and stinks in terms of track quality and the neighborhood in general.

Back to the weather though - i'd imagine freight has been shut down for the weekend or no? Unless it was early in the morning, I don't believe CSX dropped any cars from oak point on saturday. It'll be interesting to see if they try it tomorrow, and if they'll have enough power not to stall coming or going... or if they can even get to fresh pond... I'd imagine there might be some big drifts along the line by the LIE?