• ??ED & ED??, 02-11-2011

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

roberttosh wrote:
newpylong wrote:
roberttosh wrote:The NS won't come right out and say it, but the whole PAS deal was to protect and grow the Intermodal and Auto business. General freight was just an afterthought.
Might be an afterthought but there's no denying they are going after small carloads as well. Eagle Bridge (BKRR interchange), Hoosick Junction (VRS Interchange), Miller's Falls (NECR interchange), Holyoke (PVRR interchange), two new tracks up in All State in Deerfield, etc. None of this existed before PAS was formed and NS began to throw their weight around. As for what happens in the long run with these- they are still severely limited by having ST as the carrier.
I know the NS marketing & Sales groups are trying to push business that way, and you're right, there have been some minimal investments made on the carload side, though most have been slow to materialize (PVRR interchange and rebuilding of Gardner yard)) or ineffective such as the Millers Falls interchange. That being said, unlike Intermodal and Auto, the NS has very little control over the carload side service and that service is still terrible. Don't get me wrong, the NS does want to grow the general freight business, but again, it's clearly not their main focus and hasn't been from the get go.

One other thing, I don't think the railroad paid for Allstates Asphalt's siding and am pretty certain their inbound traffic comes in via a CSXT routing and doesn't at all involve the NS.
Yup. It is too bad they don't have more control. They can market all they want, but at the end of the day, they are still at mercy of Billerica, despite the common ownership and management.

Inbound loads for All State come from in from both the D&H and CSX.

Dick - I would have to agree with you, if those branches were in PAS I think they would be open. They send plows down the damn Adams Industrial...
  by roberttosh

newpylong wrote:Yup. It is too bad they don't have more control. They can market all they want, but at the end of the day, they are still at mercy of Billerica, despite the common ownership and management.
I agree 100%, if the service was there, growing the business would be like taking candy from a baby!
  by Trinnau

They're just finally getting around to taking care of the Connecticut territory. Gardner yard was shut down for over a week. The problems aren't limited to the east end of the railroad. Throw in a major mainline derailment on the tail end of 6-7ft of snow in a month without a melt and the branch lines are going to suffer. The mainlines and major yards take priority. They simply don't maintain the resources anymore to be able to handle everything in a short amount of time anymore.