• NMED on the ground in Readfield - 02-05-2011

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

markhb wrote:Any word as to what that tank car in the photo was carrying? I suppose the area is lucky that it wasn't a NB train carrying paper-making chemicals.
Looks like a UTLX, usually slurry off the NS, like the previous poster said.
  by KSmitty

Not quite sure whats going on, late last night I heard some slow moving train through Monmouth, and this morning another train.

From the sounds of it both were headed north, but I'm not sure. Anyone know what it might have been?
  by KSmitty

Time for another update.

Winthrop ME, nothing changed since yesterday.

Readfield, RofW is clear, appears to be open to traffic. It is obvious were the panel track was put in. There are still several (6-12) cars all appear to have been basically bulldozed off to the side. They are evenly spread between the left and right side of the tracks. The tank from yesterday is still there, though clear of the road. Their were more tanks, a Pan Am box car, and a scrap gon all visible down the tracks, among others. The two tanks were on their sides, one I can only imagine, is done, the other the damage is less clear. The PAR box was upright and looked okiedokie from where I stood. The scrap gon appeared to be cut clean in half. Scrap is all still present in large quantities, though mostly piled up in the mess of railcars along the RofW.

By the crossing was a PAR painted mobile light tower, they musta been busy last night...

Up the road a bit was the two excavators. One a gigantic scissor, the other a claw.

On a disappointing note, I never did get to see the wreck train. Maybe next time? Did it even make it to Maine?
  by BigLou80

My friend told me they were leaving it until spring, I thought he was kidding but maybe not.
  by newpylong

They probably will. Back when the big derailment in North Adams happened about a decade ago, the cars were dragged to the side, the line repaired, and left for months. It's pretty common practice as the RR eats the cost of the cars and the laden anyway.