• WMATA Car Door mechs and Master Controller Units

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Robert Paniagua

I know that all of WMATA's rolling stock, their door controls were designed and made by, if I'm not mistaken, by Westcode USA.

Also, I know that the entire Metr Car Fleet even starting with the 1974-77 built Rohr 1000s and of course all newer car classes thereafter were a WH DC traction system prior to rehab, then to WH AC except the CAF 5000s and Alstom 6000s and maybe the planned Kawasaki 7000s, and all Metro cars are using a Knorr/NYAB handle controller similar to the NYCT R110B, and MBTA Red Line 01800 car fleet as well as their Blue Line 0700s (they are GE AC traction) and the NYCT R142/A, R143 and all R160 types, and Toronto TTC's T-1 and SRT ICTS car fleets as awll as San Juan (Puerto Rico)'s Tren Urbano fleet

And I wonder if they were made by WABCO or Newtran too
  by Sand Box John

My recollection of the 1k cars after rehabilitation had GE AC traction installed on them. I say that because I distinctly recall seeing the General Electric logo and trademark on various under car components on a freshly rehabilitation car loaded aboard a lowboy trailer outside the gate at Alexandria Yard in the mid 1990s.
  by tommyboy6181

I know that all of WMATA's rolling stock, their door controls were designed and made by, if I'm not mistaken, by Westcode USA.
The Breda rehabs and the Alstom 6000 series cars use door controls designed and made by IFE. I haven't heard who designed/made the controls for the CAF 5000's. The Rohr cars may use something different as a Metro press release when the 4000 Breda cars had their door systems checked/repaired mentioned they use a different system than all other cars. Last I heard, Alstom was upgrading the door controls on the Rohrs but not sure who they selected.
Also, I know that the entire Metr Car Fleet even starting with the 1974-77 built Rohr 1000s and of course all newer car classes thereafter were a WH DC traction system prior to rehab, then to WH AC except the CAF 5000s and Alstom 6000s and maybe the planned Kawasaki 7000s
The Rohr cars made the switch to General Electric AC traction (3 phase with GTO inverters) with their rehab during the mid 1990's. Westinghouse did manufacture AC motors (became AEG Westinghouse, followed by AEG Rail Systems, then AEG Daimler, then Daimler Rail, then DaimlerChrysler Rail Systems, followed by AdTranz, and now of course known as Bombardier). WMATA never used any AC motors branded from Westinghouse but did go with the IGBT-based Bombardier Mitrac motors for the CAF cars. That was after Bombardier merged with AdTranz though. I also think WMATA was one of the first for the new Mitrac systems since they had not been on the market for that long between 1997-2000. I have to say I love that DC chopper buzz that is still around on the 4000 Breda cars. Not for much longer though since their midlife rehab is approaching.
...and all Metro cars are using a Knorr/NYAB handle controller similar to the NYCT R110B, and MBTA Red Line 01800 car fleet as well as their Blue Line 0700s (they are GE AC traction)
You would be correct in that all of the WMATA rolling stock uses Knorr for the handle controllers and the braking systems. I do have to make one correction though- the MBTA 01800 cars uses GE traction motors with the GTO inverters (just like the Rohrs) while the Blue Line 0700 cars use Siemens traction motors with IGBT inverters.
  by Robert Paniagua

Thanks a lot for all of that. Now I got the inside scoop. Also I do remember the loud DC Chopper sound on the 4Ks the 3ks used to have them until their mid-life overhaul, I really liked it a lot...
  by tommyboy6181

I did want to make a correction. When I was going through some old paperwork (the Semi-Annual Railcar Updates) from 2006, the Breda rehabs and the Alstom 6000 series use Wabco for the brakes. The Rohrs and 4000 series Bredas use Westinghouse for their brakes (same as Wabco before they were renamed and now known as Wabtec after acquiring Motive Power). The CAF cars use Knorr/New York Air Brake for their brake systems. An interesting fact is that the rehabs/Alstom cars may have switched to Knorr air compressors since the Wabco units were prone to leaking, and the CAF/Alstom cars which used Knorr leveling valves and single handle controllers apparently have or are switching to Westcode (part of Westinghouse/Wabco/Wabtec) to match the 1-4k cars. The Knorr valves were speculated to cause some of the low-speed derailments on the CAF cars since the bodies are much stiffer than the 1-4k and something to do with valve pressure issues where there was not enough dead band.

If you listen to both types of air brakes when they release, the CAF cars with the NYAB package will sound slightly louder than the Wabco units on the rehabs/6k cars.

5k cars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUL1cDSzcEs
2/3/6k cars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni2U8buj ... re=related

Apparently when going through a vendor list for parts on the WMATA site lately, the CAF cars with the Mitrac motors do use some AdTranz branded components in the overall propulsion system. This may be due to the fact that AdTranz and Bombardier were merging at the time that the cars were being introduced.
  by Robert Paniagua

And I think the new up and coming 7000s will also sport the Knorr Master Controller handle rather than a Cineston :-( I really wish WMATA had gone with a Cineston Master Controller Handle with most previous order especially the Rohrs 1000s, and Breda 2K, 3K and 4K cars while the 5000s and higer would then switch to the Knorr Controller Handle