• The T went to NH??

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by NellsChoo

But isn't Nashua saying they'd like some rail service? Why not make a deal with MBTA? Look at all the people who live in NH but work in MA. Why WOULDN"T we want commuter rail serving NH??

JD

by jwhite07

The difficulty is not in getting the state of New Hampshire to desire rail service. The difficulty is getting them to pay their share for it.

Right now, New Hampshire enjoys the benefit of three Downeaster stations, all with substantial ridership. Yet they contribute *zero* to the operation of the Downeaster itself, leaving Maine and Massachusetts to pick up the tab for their share. Is this fair and equitable? I don't think so.

At least for MBTA Commuter Rail service which operates into Rhode Island, that state contributes to the cost of providing the service. Through what is known as the "Pilgrim Partnership", RIDOT financed the purchase of a number of MBTA locomotives and coaches so that there would be enough equipment to provide the service to Providence. There's also a layover facility under construction in Pawtucket to replace East Junction, and most recently, five of the latest order of Kawasaki bilevels are being financed by RIDOT to allow expansion of MBTA service to T. F. Green Airport.

Will New Hampshire contribute to the operating cost of commuter service to their state, or even sign up for a Pilgrim Partnership-style agreement, in order to get MBTA service? Or will they do like they have with the Downeaster and "Live Free Or Freeload"? That remains to be seen.

Of course, Lowell, Haverhill, and Newburyport are very close to a majority of the Boston-bound commute market in New Hampshire, too. I don't think the good folks in Concord are exactly rushing to the treasury to offer up money for something that most of the people who want it can get for the cost of driving a few extra minutes into Massachusetts.

by b&m 1566

I was reading and artical a few weeks back (I believe it was the Callboy where I read it from if not it was off of an internet source...*I will try to find where I saw it*) but it stated that the city of Nashua is willing to go foward and fund the project with out the State of NH helping but with the help of an Investment company (or something along the line). Supposedly its been done in other cities in other states, but the city of Nausha is about to do this project with out the states help. I think the only thing now is that the citizens of Nausha have to vote on this (there is a name for it but can't remember) this coming March on voting day whatever day that is, supposedly they will be voting on weather or not to go ahead and fund this project with out the states help. For some that may not know the city of Nashua wants a train and they have been pushing for one for a while now. Now to go further out on a subject that seems unlikely to ever happen you still have the M&L branch that is and has been understudy for possible service and you have the Newburyport, MA to Portmouth, NH though I don't think that one is or ever has been understudy.
  by Porter Sq

This Article should explain most of the debate on the Extension to Nashua.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbc ... /112220084

Nashua Plans on buying a parcell of land at the end of East Spit Brook Rd Witch is only 2 mins from Rt 3. They plan on buying the land and using it as Transit Orentaied Developlment Buliding Housing and Retail and if you have been in this area anything and everthing is located within a 3 mile radius of you.A special tax will be used to generate funds for the building of the station and purchsing of the land.It will also be intresting if Tynsboro and Chelmsford try to get stops if this plan goes threw.

by RailBus63

The author of that Nashua Telegraph article lost me with this line:
While long-distance rail service in the United States continues to require government subsidy, short-haul commuter lines near metropolitan areas are, for the most part, self-sufficient.
This writer has no clue. Acquiring capital funding for new stations is the easy part - ensuring operating subsidies is another thing entirely. The article also fails to address the potential need for new equipment - off the top of my head, at least one additional train set would be required to extend service from Lowell to Nashua. Is the city of Nashua or the state of New Hampshire willing to put up the millions to acquire additional equipment? Don't hold your breath.

JD

by Porter Sq

I think with the Federal money they are going to recive they are going to buy 6 cars and a engine.