Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by South Parry

Earlier this week I returned home on #87 from Toronto. I've made this trip 3 times this year and I'm likely to do about 8 trips per year in the future.

But this last trip was a little unsettling. I sat across from a man who might have been schizophrenic or at the very least - badly mannered. He was talking and swearing to himself as he became unhappy with delays and with the inability of VIA personnel to fully understand his Caribbean accent. I think I can handle myself if a guy like that got really out of control, and I'm sure fellow passengers would respond if something really serious happened. But to cover that behaviour gap between a passenger being mildly annoying and a serious problem, I just didn't feel that an attractive 20's-something, female, bilingual customer service representative would have been able to handle a situation.

Earlier in the day, I met a better crowd of people on the Ontario Northland Bus. I had more confidence in the driver as well, who really seemed to be in charge of that bus.

Any comments?
  by 3rdrail

Welcome to life in the big city ! Such a character will make less of an impression on you the more that you ride as they are relatively commonplace. The only thing that I picked up on that I would like to guard you against is assuming that other passengers would spring to the aid of a fellow passenger. They don't. As a rule, they'll sit in their seat and watch as you're sliced and diced, threatened, or spit upon. Don't ever take action if contingent in that action is the quotient that they will help in order for your plan to succeed. If you can't handle it on your own, seek help before you act or call a conductor or the police. Your fellow passengers will however complain after the incident that the commuter line is getting out of control and how horrible it was that nobody helped that young girl. (Of course what could they do- that guy had a whole inch and a half over them.)
  by Engineer Spike

The train crew was derelict in their duties. I have worked in passenger service, and I was expected to take charge of such situations. I have seen this happen. Once I was the brakeman in such a situation. I was hampered by the fact that my conductor would not take a stand. The crew has to protect other passengers. If the person is violent, then just isolate the person, and radio ahead for the police.
Another time it happened, and I was lucky enough to have a R.R.P.D. officer deadheading to work on the train.
  by Highball

Engineer Spike wrote: The crew has to protect other passengers. If the person is violent, then just isolate the person, and radio ahead for the police.
Exactly, I saw this occur on Amtrak as I was travelling two winters ago, on a packed Lakeshore Ltd., from Boston / NY to Chicago. East of Cleveland, a male passenger walked up and down the car I was in, looking for a seat, found one and went to sleep.

Heading west after the early morning stop in Cleveland, he awakens, starts to curse loudly so as other passengers are awakened, then confronts the female car attendant as she walks through. This passenger was supposed to get off in Cleveland and gave the attendant a verbal lashing. She tried to explain that everyone in this car was destined for Chicago and he should not have left his assigned seat from another car.

A short time later, the Conductor and other on-board crew appeared....the unruly passenger then says to the conductor... " make a stand or fight ". The conductor then leaves and a bit further up the line, the train makes an unscheduled stop. I noticed several policemen standing along the right of way and the passenger is soon lead off the train in single file, he in the middle of two burly officers. Just before existing the car, Mr. Unruly shouts " Hey everybody, I am sorry for causing such a fuss, haven't been taking my medication, but you can still all go to h... ".

I thought the on board staff did a great job in handling the situation.
  by labaienordique

What happens if you're in a remote area (especially in Canada)? Having traveled on the Algoma Central train before, after leaving Sault Ste Marie, there are maybe three stops along the 10 hour journey north (not including Hearst) that might have road access (Searchmont, Hawk Junction & Dubreuilville)? And I mean all of these communities are under a thousand residents & police officers are few & far between...

Heaven forbid a serious situation on a passenger train between Winnipeg & Churchill of the Sept-Îles-Schefferville run...
  by n2cbo

labaienordique wrote:What happens if you're in a remote area (especially in Canada)? Having traveled on the Algoma Central train before, after leaving Sault Ste Marie, there are maybe three stops along the 10 hour journey north (not including Hearst) that might have road access (Searchmont, Hawk Junction & Dubreuilville)? And I mean all of these communities are under a thousand residents & police officers are few & far between...

Heaven forbid a serious situation on a passenger train between Winnipeg & Churchill of the Sept-Îles-Schefferville run...
I don't know about VIA or CN, but Amtrak Police have a few Helicopters...