• What is the motel near the Red Line terminal in Braintree?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Otto Vondrak

What is the motel next to the Red Line terminal in Braintree? I liked staying there last time because it was close to transit facilities...

-otto-

by apodino

I believe you are talking about the Braintree Motel 6. They generally have the lowest rates of any of the chain hotels, and it is a short walk to the red line and commuter rail.

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks!

-otto-

by Robert Paniagua

Yeap, and I take the train from there (Braintree) on a daily basis to work. I only live 5 miles due south of there, so I know the area very well......

by CSX Conductor

Yeah, Motel 6.....Tom Bodette will leave the light on for ya!

Easy access to the highway, MBTA and the Hilltop..... yum
  by Head-end View

The Motel 6 is really a great location. Two train stations, quick access to the highway, a restaurant next door, and ya' get to watch the fire trucks race past several times a day. :wink: Not the greatest motel though. My last trip I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express (former Days Inn) on the other side of town. A much nicer place, but not as good a location, and mid-day parking at the Red Line stations can be a problem.

by Otto Vondrak

What is the Hilltop?

-otto-

by apodino

Hilltop is a steakhouse that is located on the opposite side of Union Ave from the Motel 6 and the red line, in that shopping plaza that has borders and best buy. Haven't eaten there in a while, but its not a bad deal.

by Robert Paniagua

And you also got the Bickford's Restaurant, which is open 24 hours per day, and in their breakfast menu, Otto, they have Chocolate chip pancakes too (my favourite, FYI). That's nice to have before going off train riding throughout the transit system.

by hebron_hapt

I believe this motel quailfies as the closest lodging to a train stop on the Red Line south of downtown.

Let's see...

Braintree - Motel 6
Quincy Adams - Marriott
Quincy Square - nothing
Wollaston - President City Inn far away
North Quincy - Adams Inn far away
Mattapan - Ashmont - nothing
Shawmut - nothing
Fields Corner - nothing
Savin Hill - nothing
Columbia - Doubletree
Andrew - Holiday Inn Express
Broadway - nothing

by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, I'd say the Motel 6 in Braintree is the best for you of you're coming back to Boston. Plus Braintree has a commuter rail stop, so you can go either way (Red Line or CR). The latter however takes you right to the same platforms as Amtrak.

by fm535

Otto - Just an FYI, Braintree is one of the stops that has the "Exit Fare", so bring a few extra tokens, if thats your choice of poison. I travel from JFK/UMASS to the Braintree station 5 days a week, since I work right down the street from the Hilltop... (K-Mart, BestBuy, Borders, etc, all in the same plaza. )

If you want some sophomoric amusement, if you are on a fairly crowded train, watch the people try to get thru the EXITs without paying the token, or without the correct pass, and see how many get hit in the crotch unexpectedly...and watch how many kids just hop it! I try to take my time going thru the gates just to watch the surprise on people's faces when they "Have to PAY to GET OUT?!?!?"

by fm535

Sorry, I thought that this was a recent post...disregard the previous post...LOL!

by Pete

hebron_hapt wrote:Columbia - Doubletree
Try to use the right station names when giving out-of-towners info.