• Which was the better Orange Line, the Sw Corridor or the EL?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

Aparetly you missed what I was saying Ed. I mean that I feel that they are not too close to the former E line as the previous post had stated that they are. :wink:

by efin98

CSX Conductor wrote:Aparetly you missed what I was saying Ed. I mean that I feel that they are not too close to the former E line as the previous post had stated that they are. :wink:
I was agreeing with you, just pointing out something :wink:

by pdxstreetcar

If I'm not mistaken I think I saw a small steel piece that appears to be part of the El's posts, right where Washington St crosses the rail line between BB station and South Station (right by I-90). I saw it very briefly when I was on the train but next time I go to Boston I will try to check it out and verify.

by ithjames

CSX Conductor wrote:
ithjames wrote:However, they are too close to the Green Line "E" line used to go through from Stony Brook to Forest Hills.
Empasis on "used to go".

And it is a bit of a hike from Stony Brook or Green St. to Centre or South Streets to catch the number 39 bus.
It makes me wonder. When the T built the SW Corridor, did the T intentionally try to get rid of the E line from Centre St to South St with the Southwest Corridor?

by Robert Paniagua

It makes me wonder. When the T built the SW Corridor, did the T intentionally try to get rid of the E line from Centre St to South St with the Southwest Corridor?

You're probably right. It may have ben made to eliminate the E branch mostly, but the Arborway extension is supposed to be built for 2006-07.

by efin98

ithjames wrote:
CSX Conductor wrote:
ithjames wrote:However, they are too close to the Green Line "E" line used to go through from Stony Brook to Forest Hills.
Empasis on "used to go".

And it is a bit of a hike from Stony Brook or Green St. to Centre or South Streets to catch the number 39 bus.
I don't think so. I think they used land that they already owned and could support their needs along with the commuter rail and Amtrak needs. Besides, the rebuilding did bring the benefit of upgrading the viaduct to what it is today...

by apodino

yup, the ROW was in place already, and thats one of the reasons that allignment was used, in addition to the South Cove tunnel, which I believe was completed in the late 60's or so claims the Scott Moore site.

by Ron Newman

The New Haven (Amtrak) line already ran through the corridor. Also, many houses were torn down on both sides of the old railroad viaduct because the I-95 expressway was to be built there. That was cancelled, and instead the relocated Orange Line and Southwest Corridor Park were built.