• More Rumors about CP terminating service

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by rb

The last time I heard that CP was ending service over the Hudson Line...nothing happened.

The rumors are back, but the trains seem to have hit decent lengths with all the aggregate traffic. With the new aggregate terminal being built on LI, the rumors don't even make sense.

So are they just rumors or what?
  by jtunnel

CP is not terminating the service, rather CP will let CSX haul the traffic for them. The freight cars will still roll, just means longer CSX trains coming down the Hudson Line and into Freshpond, with CSX power. CP just gets to cash the checks.
  by hrfcarl

How about P&W, do they still run to Freshpond or is CSX taking their loads (from Oak Point) as well?
  by DogBert

P&W will still run. Their route from the mines to LI isn't replicated by CSX at all.

CSX will have to tack on another engine or two for their haul from OP to fresh point I suspect. Trash traffic just keeps increasing. The other day they barely made it over the bridge coming back... and that's without added CP cars.
  by CJQ

It is finally done, No more CP to NYC, I won't get to use the SD40's to switch out Freshpond any more . They will be down to NYC for the last time 12/13/10 .CSX will be bringing stone and freight down for them from now on .
  by Teutobergerwald

Too bad. CP Rail will probably be back if CSX screws them.
  by District D RTC

Well kids,

THE LAST D&H train goes on duty in 35 minutes at Fresh Pond.

How many of you LI 'buffs got off yer duffs and off the island and caught em? Today or ever?? You had 11.5 years.

Here's a link to my video from last night of THE LAST 416.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYGNmZMzkv8
  by District D RTC

The last one:

D&H 417-13

Pulled by the swamp switch departing Fresh Pond at 16:34
with
32 MTYs

NOTE: Power will be reversed once they run around at Oak Point.

--JSW
  by Teutobergerwald

On that film of that run, the first two cars appeared to be loaded centerbeam flatcars, the loads wrapped. Where did they originate? Not the Island, I would think.
  by District D RTC

Teutobergerwald wrote:On that film of that run, the first two cars appeared to be loaded centerbeam flatcars, the loads wrapped. Where did they originate? Not the Island, I would think.
Um....the train in that video is SOUTHBOUND -- all cars destined to NYA interchange on this trip - so none originated on Long Island as no loads do other then trash.......
  by freightguy

This is how hey first ran on the Fresh Pond end anyway. The D&H would terminate in Oak Point. They used to make the NYA crews tag the CP cars on the end of the CSX outbound train. Than due to yard constraints the crew would tie up in Fresh Pond. Sometime on the West end of East Yard yard power from NYA, P&W, and CP would all be tied down together. I think Metro North's limit is 125 cars on this side of the Hudson for CSX trains.