• NYC Electrics in Glenmont

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by k9bucket

I remember seeing the old electrics in Glenmont many years ago, but I can't remember exactly where they are. Anyone able to tell me where they are and if they are still visible from a public area? Anyone have any info on where the came from and how they ended up so far away from electric trackage?
Thanks!
  by PhilBob1

Last I heard they were buckets of rust with trees growing through them down by the power plant. Relatively inaccessible, too.
  by kinlock

S Motor and T Motor at Glenmont (ex-New York Central)
These historic electric locomotives are stored at an electrical plant in Glenmont near Albany. They belong to the Mohawk & Hudson Chapter of the NRHS.
  by Otto Vondrak

They are on private property, out of public sight, stored at the power plant. No news so far as to their disposition. Last time they saw the light of day was 1985 or so.
  by DutchRailnut

The Danbury Railway Museum has been in negotiations to try to get the two electrics to Danbury
  by Tadman

Interesting, I knew a few T's survived but not the S motors. Too bad they've been kept poorly. Because they're 600vDC, they could operate on museum trackage were they in good shape. This is compared to former PRR electrical equipment that has no chance of running again, as no museum has PRR-style AC electrification.
  by scottychaos

Tadman wrote:Interesting, I knew a few T's survived but not the S motors. Too bad they've been kept poorly. Because they're 600vDC, they could operate on museum trackage were they in good shape. This is compared to former PRR electrical equipment that has no chance of running again, as no museum has PRR-style AC electrification.
One known surviving T, and three S's:

NYC 100 - Alco/GE S-1 electric - Albany, NY (in need of preservation) (originally NYC 6000)
NYC 113 - S-motor electric, St. Louis Tranportation Museum
NYC 115 - S-motor electric , Illinois Railway Museum
NYC 278 - Alco/GE T3a electric - Albany, NY (in need of preservation)

from: http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... /index.htm

Here are recent photos of the two at Glenmont..they also have a Conrail U25B rusting away out there..

Scot
  by Noel Weaver

They don't look too good in the photos and that was three plus years ago. More time out in the winter weather and dampness is not going to do these historic motors any good either. Mohawk-Hudson Chapter SHAME! SHAME!! SHAME!!!
Noel Weaver
  by Ocala Mike

Sad, indeed! Looks like somebody's junk heap in the tv show, "American Pickers."
  by bill8106

Does anyone know if the T3a was repainted in the lightning stripe paint scheme by the NRHS or some other organization after it got cigar band and/or PC paint, or can it be the only surviving NYC locomotive or motor that is still in lightning stripes that were actually applied by the NYC?
  by scottychaos

bill8106 wrote:Does anyone know if the T3a was repainted in the lightning stripe paint scheme by the NRHS or some other organization after it got cigar band and/or PC paint, or can it be the only surviving NYC locomotive or motor that is still in lightning stripes that were actually applied by the NYC?
highly unlikely those are the original NYC stripes..
probably repainted by the M&H chapter sometime in the early 80's..
lets see if we can prove it! ;)
(Scot heads to google)

yep..here she in with a cigar band in 1967:

repainted in 1980:
http://www.ominousweather.com/ElectricRailroads1.html

Scot
  by Noel Weaver

Quite a few years ago those two locomotives wre towed down to Grand Central Terminal for a part in making of the movie "The house on Carroll Street". I suspect the movie company fixed them up. They got towed down there and back again apparently without any major poblems as well.
Noel Weaver
  by bill8106

I figured that my wishful thinking was too good to be true. Thanks guys, for the detective work. There's a shot of 278 about halfway through this clip from "The House on Carroll Street": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCyzG-Gg0Y
  by kinlock

The movie company did not fix up the electrics for the Grand Central movie shots. The National Railway Historical Society Mohawk & Hudson Chapter fixed them up. At one point, the chapter was one of the largest in the NRHS.

...Ken