• Adirondack Scenic Railroad 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Donko142

The 4243 needed to have it's air compressor rebuilt, it is in Utica by the MA&N shop or across the tracks at the contractors shop (old DL&W shop). It will most likely be going to CT once fixed, I hope it stays. New power should be arriving on the ADIX before long.
  by Alcoman

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Alcoman wrote:Why is it leaving the property? It was in Utica a ouple of weeks ago.
Because the 4243 is privately owned...
That's not the reason I am looking for...I already know that it is privately owned.
  by traingeek8223

Hate to see the C424 go. Great looking locomotive. I know Tom is quite fond of her. It makes sense he would take her with him. The railroad does need something more flexible than three F units though. It'll be nice when the 8223 is back in service. Any new developments with the M420TR?
  by Alcoman

Last I heard, the M420TR needs $15,000 worth of work to get it running. I am supportive of that in any way I can.
  by The Man

The TR is dead for now and I am not sure it will be coming back to life anytime soon, right now my company is working to make sure we get a turbo in the 8223.

JJ-
  by Noel Weaver

Metro-North has had a GP-9 and a GP-8 out of service at Harmon for some time. I suspect that neither of these engines is in bad shape and most likely if you folks could get them, you would have two good road switchers that could help with your needs for some time to come. I would think you might be able to obtain one or both of these locomotives for not much more than the scrap prices for them. The GP-8 (543) might be the more suitable of the two if only one could be had.
Noel Weaver
  by FL9AC

Metro-North has had a GP-9 and a GP-8 out of service at Harmon for some time. I suspect that neither of these engines is in bad shape and most likely if you folks could get them, you would have two good road switchers that could help with your needs for some time to come. I would think you might be able to obtain one or both of these locomotives for not much more than the scrap prices for them. The GP-8 (543) might be the more suitable of the two if only one could be had.
Both units Noel is referring to are ex-New York Central units...the 750 was a torpedo tube passenger unit but was recently rebuilt with new prime mover, main generator, and the roof tanks were removed and GE-style tanks were applied on either side of the fuel tak underneath for clearance issues it had on Metro-North. The Steam generator was also removed. It still has a 24RL brake and can-type control stand. The 543 is probably better all around condition-wise, but maintenance-wise the 750 has new big-ticket items ;)...here's a few pics of each:

(GP-9 750)

(GP-8 543)

by Jmark

The Adirondack Scenic Railroad will have a display booth at the NY Train Fair the the NYS Fairgrounds in Syracuse/Solvay NY this weekend 11/6 and 11/7.

Come visit us! We'll have a booth setup and be showing some of our accomplishments completed thus far in 2010.

We'll also have membership, volunteer information and buy-a-tie forms on hand. Hoping to see everybody there.
  by Alcoman

New power should be arriving on the ADIX before long.
What new Power and what kind?
  by Gunsnclapton

We're getting 2 RS18s from Canada: CN 1845 and 1835
Sound good to you Alcoman? lol
  by Alcochaser

NBEC 1845 and NBEC 1835 RS18U Ex CPR. They should still have the Century style electical cabinets CPR upgraded them with. Paint looks like crap on both.

(CN bought NBEC and put it's power up for sale)
  by traingeek8223

Is this truth or rumor? Where and what are the facts?
  by Alcoman

Its true Matt...I talked with the CMO.
John
  by traingeek8223

Thanks John. You can never tell with all the rumors that get started round here.
If John N says it's true than I believe it. More ALCO's.... Can't wait!