• Location "Z" on the B&M?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Otto Vondrak

At the Railroad Museum of New England, we have restored caboose C-72R to its 1977 appearance... Just curious on the COTS stencil, it says it was checked out by the B&M at a location that is abbreviated "Z." Was "Z" Billerica?

http://naugy.blogspot.com/2010/10/bosto ... upola.html

-otto-
  by bmcdr

"Z" was the designation for LOWELL. "A" AYER - "B" BOSTON - "C" CONCORD,N.H. - "D" DOVER,N.H. - "E" EAST DEERFIELD - "F" EAST FITCHBURG - "G" GROVETON,N.H. -"H" NORTHAMPTON - "I" NORTH CONWAY - "J" WHITE RIVER JCT. - "K" KEENE,N.H. - "L" LAWRENCE - "M" MECHANICVILLE - "N" NASHUA - "O" PLYMOUTH,N.H. - "Q" PORTSMOUTH,N.H. - "R" RIGBY (SO.PORTLAND) - "S" SPRINGFIELD,MASS. - "T" BIDDEFORD,ME. - "U" BERLIN,N.H. - "V" LYNN,MASS. - "W" WORCESTER - "X" BELLOWS FALLS - "Y" MANCHESTER,N.H.

There used to be a very busy freight car repair facility at the Bleachery Yard in Lowell, that's why that caboose has a "Z" on the COTS stencil.
  by Otto Vondrak

Thanks very much for the information... It is appreciated. Where did you find this info?

-otto-
  by H.F.Malone

Otto asked: "Where did you find this info?"

I suspect it's in Mr. H's genetic make-up (lol). He's probably forgotten more about the B&M than any one of could know... Thanks for the details. Now we can give the correct explanation of "Z".
  by bmcdr

H.F.Malone wrote:Otto asked: "Where did you find this info?"

I suspect it's in Mr. H's genetic make-up (lol). He's probably forgotten more about the B&M than any one of could know... Thanks for the details. Now we can give the correct explanation of "Z".
Thanks for the compliment, that's quite the avitar and screen name you have. I wonder how many of the younger guys logging onto this site have any idea who Harry Foster Malone is?
  by MEC407

bmcdr wrote:I wonder how many of the younger guys logging onto this site have any idea who Harry Foster Malone is?
Probably very few of them!

For those who are curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Happened_to_Jane
  by 3rdrail

At least he runs a railroad company. hahaha!!!
  by fl9m2026

3rdrail wrote:At least he runs a railroad company. hahaha!!!

And, he ran a railroad in Maine with FL9's no less (a pre-cursor to the current Maine Eastern, no doubt :wink: )! Ahhh, the good 'ol Eastern and Portland.... Ernie Kovacs was the best thing in that flick... well, bsides the FL9's...
  by H.F.Malone

"Ernie Kovacs was the best thing in that flick... well, bsides the FL9's..."

I certainly thought my secretary was better than the FL9s.....!!!!!!
  by fl9m2026

H.F.Malone wrote:"Ernie Kovacs was the best thing in that flick... well, bsides the FL9's..."

I certainly thought my secretary was better than the FL9s.....!!!!!!

Well, ya... I'll concede that point.... :wink:
  by 3rdrail

NOW I'm getting the dvd !
  by MEC407

It's a great movie. Watching it made me wonder: was Patrick McGinnis bald, and did he smoke cigars? :wink:
  by H.F.Malone

"was Patrick McGinnis bald, and did he smoke cigars?"

No. And probably.
  by 3rdrail

Only when he got the prison "buzz cut".