• Kennebunkport Branch

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by MIKEMOXIEMAINE

Having grown up within a 2 minute walk of the branch,Does anyone have a date for when the branch was ripped up? Or when service to the Port stopped?
I know the wye and the long tail tracks at Kennebunk lasted till about the end of steam.
I was told that tail tracks in Kennebunk were used to lay up some passenger equipment on summer weekend,
Seashore got about 2100 track feet of 85 lb rail out of the yard back in the 80's

Thanks

Mike
  by eddiebehr

The Kennebunkport, Old Orchard-Camp Ellis and York Beach Branches were all gone by about 1925-1926. I'd have to go upstairs to find exact dates.
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

eb,

Let me save you a trip upstairs, old fella :P . It opened June 6, 1883, and abandonment day was September 8, 1926, according to Lindsell.

PBM
  by trainsinmaine

Lots of vestiges of the Kennebunkport and York Beach branches can be seen. Am I right in thinking that the K'port depot is still standing? (I was there only once, years ago.)

I don't know what, if anything, can be seen of the Camp Ellis branch. A lot of Camp Ellis itself has been eroded away or destroyed by hurricanes and gales over the years.
  by MIKEMOXIEMAINE

The station at the Port end is really in the lower village area of Kennebunk, Yes it is still stand ,being used as a bar/bistro.
Thanks for the info, I was about 10 years off in my thinking.

Now what about that branch in the Old Orchard area off the Eastern?

thanks

Mike
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

MMM,

>>Now what about that branch in the Old Orchard area off the Eastern?

Assuming you're referring to the line from what was then called PS&P Junction - about four miles east of Biddeford - to Old Orchard Beach, again from Lindsell:

"Chartered and constructed in 1881, the Old Orchard Junction RR ran [from PS&P Junction] to about a half mile north of what are now Union Avenue and T for Turn Road In Old Orchard Beach. The intention appears to have been to give [OOB] another rail line to compete with the B&M, but neither ... showed interest in lease or acquisition. After operation in the summers of 1881 and 1882, the line closed; it was dismantled about three years later."

Turnabout is fair play: on page 98 of Lindsell, he states that the station at OOB was demolished around 1958. On page 99, he states it is currently in use as the office of the Chamber of Commerce. Can you clarify ?

PBM
  by Dick H

I could be wrong, but I think the Chamber of Commerce Building
in Old Orchard is relatively recent construction.
Scroll down for a photo of the old station.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevgbob/id18.html