• SK1?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NS59

I just heard the dispatcher on the Southern Tier talking about SK1 approaching Silver Springs. Is this an ol D&H symbol. Is it an E/B or a W/B??

Dave

by Aji-tater

Used to be westbounds were always odd numbers, eastbounds even. They've changes train symbols around so much these days I can't keep track of them. If I had to guess I'd say SK-1 is westbound.
  by MP366

SK-1 is an Eastbound and a Westbound...it's the CP Rail local out of Buffalo that goes to Silver Springs to interchange with the R&S/GNWR and then returns back to Buffalo

by NS59

Thanks for the help. I ended up catching the SK1 on its return to SK in the afternoon. It had a pair of dual flag SD40-2s on it with a solid set of Salt cars (explaining why they were waiting on the R&S in Silver Springs early in the day. Things were pretty busy around SK yard that afternoon with a NS transfer behind a GP50/GP38AC combo, train 309 with an NS SD60 and a UP C40-8, and the SK1. Also, on an interesting note a St. Lawrence & Hudson SD40-2 was also at SK.

Dave
  by Farmer Joe

What is the NS 309 train that runs the 'tier? I've heard them call out signals in Darien, but have yet to see the train. I've never heard of that train number before. I've asked on the nstier yahoo group and got no response. Most of the guys on that list are down in Bighamton/Corning area and maybe the 309 doesn't get down there. Curiosity is getting the best of me on this one. NS seems to change train numbers alot.

Just askin'

Joe

by bwparker1

309 Bison Yd/Buffalo, NY Bellevue, OH

See http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/nstrains/

For more info.

Brooks
  by Farmer Joe

I hope I don't get taken to the forum woodshed for being off topic. :( The spreadsheet Brooks linked to w/NS train symbols looks a little bit outdated. Yes, it says the 309 essentially runs the Nickle Plate, but I heard them calling signals EAST of Buffalo thru Darien on Dec 30th. The train was heading west. Maybe the holiday season had something to do with it.

Back to SK1.....Any ideas as to what the R&S may do without the CP/DH interchange at Silver Springs? B&P or R&S trackage rights on the 'tier between Silver Springs and Buffalo. Hey! Maybe this can be a new topic! :-D

Joe@MP397, Darien Ctr