• Greenbush line question (about power)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

i just read in another posting, and someone mentioned what is going to happen with the greenbush line going to be opening, and if the TF green extension is made, there won't be enough power to cover all of these trains. Will the T cut back on other runs, or aquire more loco's?

by RailBus63

I believe the GP40MC's were purchased for all of the Old Colony lines including Greenbush.

According to the locomotive inventory on the NETransit website, the MBTA currently has 56 locomotives available for service plus 8 spares. There are an additional 11 locomotives listed at BET for 'minor repair or inspection', plus three locomotives listed as dead due to fire or turbo/generator problems. It is not unreasonable to think that the MBTA can get sufficient locomotives for Greenbush by returning some of those 14 locomotives to service.

As for TF Green service, I believe Rhode Island needs to step up and help acquire a few additional locos for that service.

JD