• Central Mass Wachusett Reservoir Alternate Relocation

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by TrainManTy

Wow, what a mouthful of a title! As many of you know, when the Wachusett Reservoir was built between 1897 and 1908, the B&M Central Mass Division (running through what is now the bottom of the reservoir) was relocated through Clinton, MA, over the well-known tunnel and trestle near the dam. However, I read somewhere that one of the other alignments that was considered was through Boylston Center, parallel to Route 70. Does anyone know any more information about this alternate alignment?
  by Red Wing

In the plans I've looked at for the reservoir, I haven't seen anything that would suggest that. That doesn't mean it wasn't in the original plans.
  by jaymac

The rollercoaster gradient changes through that possible siting, not to mention a WN&P connection, would make the Clinton tunnel and bridge plus WN&P connections close to South Meadow seem like next to nothing. Maybe a sacrifical improbable option was floated to make the actual relocation siting seem better.
Mebbe deep inside the MDC/MWRA archives...