• 11,000+ feet on the River Line?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by n2xjk

This morning there was a train SB in the NJ dispatcher's territory, 'a monster' at more than 11,000 feet. I thought someone told me that the longest train they run on the River Line is 9000', in order for it to fit on any siding along the way. Makes me wonder if it had to stop on the Kingston siding, could it do so without blocking a crossing? (there would have to be 11,000' from CP90 to Flatbush, and I don't know if there is or not)

by Paul W. Brasky

According to my map, the non-controlled siding at Kingston (CP 87 to CP 90) is 15,032' long. If my memory is correct, a 10,500' will clear CP 90 and barely clear Flatbush Ave. (MP QR 88.8). A S'bound 11,000' train would probably block all but Smith Ave. (MP QR 88.33).

by rcbsd45

FWIW, in kingston, there is only about 9000 feet between CP 90 and Flatbush avenue, and any train exceeding 8800 feet generally will not be held there. Don't let the length odf the sidings fool you. There are "layback points" that the trains cannot pass unless so ordered at virtually all the sidings. There are layback points at Ravenna, Coxsackie, Alsen, Kingston, Newbugh, Havestraw, Nyack and Teaneck. There is a crossing in the middle of the Milton siding, but it is unused these days and there haven't been any complaints when it does get blocked. It leasds to a small dock that doesn't see use any more, at least from the road side of the thing. Commonly referred to as the winery crossing, as there is a Kedem winery at that location. But getting back on topic, an 11,000 foot train is not all that uncommon. Q156, 164, 268 and even the 433 and 404 are usually good candidates to meet that length if not come awfully close.

by nydepot

What is a layback point? Thanks.

Charles

by rcbsd45

Layback point are those locations designated in the timetable(or by bulletin order) that trains when stopped for any length of time cannot pass so as not to disturb local residents or block crossings. On the River Sub, these are designated by mileposts, although in some instances there may be some small markers/signs indicating the points trains are not to pass unless orderd by the dispatcher.

by Paul W. Brasky

All, I just re-examined the map and the approximate clearance point of CP 90 and realize that both my memory and math were faulty. A rough calculation gave me 8,920' to Flatbush Ave. Add another .47 mi. to Smith Ave. and an 11,000 train may almost clear it. Have no doubt though that the citizens of my fair city would be "delighted."