• Boston & Maine (B&M)/Maine Central (MEC) Diner Cars

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by gokeefe

In the process of seeking more information regarding the disposition of diesel passenger locomotives that once ran on the MEC I noticed that there were apparent conflicts regarding information on the disposition of the diner (and other assorted foodservice) cars that once belonged to the Maine Central and the Boston & Maine. Surviving MEC and B&M passenger rolling stock of any kind, including motive power is a rare find in general, diner cars even more so given the limited numbers they were ordered in by the host railroads. One of the things I've learned through this process is how limited MEC and B&M passenger services really were. Although the B&M had a more substantial operation both railroads downsized faster and more aggressively than other railroads in the postwar era. One of the results of this process is that very little, if any passenger equipment that ran on these railroads survived in service until A-day. Second, because of the age of the cars a great deal of the rolling stock was scrapped during the passenger service reductions that began in the early-1950s. As always there are many others who understand this subject far better than I do.

Mr. James VanBokkelen on his "Maine Central Railroad Passenger Equipment" roster (http://faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/mecrr/mec_pass.html) lists MEC #15 & 16 (diner-bar-lounge), Merrymeeting and Arundel respectively as (#15) "To C&EI 603 Merry Young 1951, to L&N lunch counter-lounge 2800 Dixie Traveler, to ATK 8380" and (#16) "To C&EI 604 Merrymeeting 1951, to L&N lunch counter-lounge 2801 Dixie Journey, to ATK 8381"

However, according to a post on Trainorders.com June 12, 2003 by user "Pullman" (http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,563923), author Mr. David Randall in his book From Zephyr to Amtrak lists two "COUNTER LOUNGE" cars as "2 cars 8380-8381 (L&N 2800-2801 - B&M 70-71)".

Mr. VanBokkelen however lists B&M 70 & 71 as:
"70 (Pullman 1947) LW diner-bar-lounge Bald Eagle , sold Wabash RR 1958"
"71 (Pullman 1947) LW diner-bar-lounge Hermit Thrush , sold Wabash RR 1958"

Neither website offers information regarding disposition in either case of ATK 8380 & 8381 (regardless of which railroad they came from) nor does this information appear to be readily available elsewhere. I was surprised (but certainly not shocked) that there would be disagreement or disputes of something that so clearly took place in the gaze of the public eye. But then again there were so many pieces of equipment being sold or moved around at that time perhaps confusion was inevitable.

Of further note the Illinois Railway Museum lists Boston & Maine 3285 (Diner) & 3288 (Cafe) on their roster of passenger rolling stock (http://www.irm.org/roster/coaches.html) along with some great photos. However some of the photos and captions seem to indicate they were renumbered or rostered as #1090/1094. There is no clarification regarding the exact numbering.

I think it's also worth mentioning B&M #84 Maine, presently at Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton, PA (http://www.nps.gov/stea/planyourvisit/upload/bm84.pdf). I haven't heard or seen what the plans are for this car, if any. At least for the moment it is still preserved.

Of further note is "MEC #391" (possibly grill/cafe/lounge?) at what has been known as "City Point Central Railroad Museum". For reasons unnkown to me this site apparently has disappeared. We had significant discussion about this car and whether or not it truly was ex-MEC on this the "B&M/MEC/BAR Lightweight Passenger Equipment" thread in this same forum almost two years ago. Nobody ever seemed able to answer whether or not this car really was ex-MEC and if so what. The story that the car was purchased from (at that time) Guilford Rail System (GRS) was the main point supporting this idea because of the thought that GRS was more likely than any other railroad in the country to have had ex-MEC rolling stock on their roster.

Photograph of City Point Central Railroad Museum with "MEC" #391 in front.
http://timeforbelfast.org/wp-content/up ... ypoint.jpg

To my knowledge (which is very limited) unless ATK 8380/8381 turn out to be former MEC and are still preserved somewhere, MEC #391 is not only the sole surviving MEC lightweight but also the sole surviving MEC foodservice car. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.
  by jbvb

Ted Anderson has posted considerable information about B&M 1090/1091 on the [email protected] list (archives are public); he's actively involved in maintenance and restoration of the two cars. I believe those numbers are correct for pre-WWII.

My information on the MEC and B&M lightweight diners is excerpted from B&M Bulletin articles circa 1974. I recall seeing discussion of the ex-MEC diners as part of an Amtrak roster somewhere else, but I can't give a citation. I'm pretty sure about the Wabash disposition of the B&M diners, as that ties in with McGinnis's eventual conviction for kickbacks on the sale. I recall seeing some info about the N&W history of those cars, I'll see if I can get it up on the site one of these days.

When I-95, I-93 and I-89 made B&M and MEC long-haul passenger service unsustainable, preservation was very novel and those interested were very much focused on steam engines. The idea of stuffing/mounting an E-7 that was barely 15 years old probably never even came up.