• Winter operations

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by HangarRat

I'm a SEPTA Regional Rail commuter in the Philadelphia area.

On my ride into work after a snowfall the other day, I noticed that all of the switches/interlockings had been de-iced.

I've seen photos of rail yards in the winter with flares burning on all of the switches to keep them clear of snow and ice. I've never seen anythink like that on the SEPTA system.

I'm curious about two things: How does SEPTA keep its switches working in winter weather; and don't those gas/oil flares tend to set the wooden rail ties alight?
  by Patrick Boylan

It's been years since I've ridden SEPTA railroad in winter, but I do remember seeing flame switch heaters. There are also electric switch heaters, so it's possible the reason you don't see flames is because SEPTA's using all electric now.
I'd also assume any flame will always carry with it some risk of spreading, but I haven't heard any stories of wooden rail ties that "tend" to catch fire because of switch heaters. Bear in mind that the flames are going up from something that's intended to hold a flame. Ties catching fire I'd imagine would more often happen because of cigarettes dropped onto trash in the tracks.
  by polybalt

Here is a link to a close up photo of a kerosene switch heater in operation this winter at the Illinois Railway Museum. Note that only the rail is heated--there is still unmelted snow near by. Page back in the album to see overall shots of the switch with a full complement of heaters.

http://www.irm.org/gallery/album141/aam
  by TREnecNYP

Floating around out there is a photo of the switch heaters at hoboken at night in winter with snow all around. Can't seem to find it right now.

- A
  by Engineer Spike

Most gas switch heaters connect to the ball of the rail. Since heat rises, it is not a problem. Some switches use a small furnace with duct work. There are hot air is aimed at the points.