• Erie Branch to Essex Fells and the M&E

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by atlpete

The posting regarding the upper end of the Greenwood Lake Branch piqued my interest, are their any publications that have photos of the Essex Fells Branch (abandoned in the sixties?) to Caldwell and Essex Fells. I work in the area and it boggles my mind that so little of it remains (cool bridge over R23 notwithstanding) One of the two Lackwanna books by MS has a photo of the M&E yard at Essex Fells. I have a 61' Official Guide that lists five trains (two morning, three in the pm) between Essex Fells and Hoboken. A lot of the right -of-way has houses on it now, though some abutments and bridges still remain here and there. After exploring the remnants of the CNJ and the DL&W I guess I should expect to get an "Erie" infection. :wink:
  by henry6

Morristown &Erie histories, ERIE POWER by Staufer, NEXT STATION WILL BE...series from Railroadians for starters.

by njt4172

In short, the very last passenger train from Hoboken to Essex Fells was in 1966. The last freight train over the Caldwell Branch was in June or July of 1975. There was a washout then so I don't think any other trains ran over the line until the tracks were pulled in 1979......

Steve

by Greg

Steve,

I recall hearing or reading a story about somone who rode a stranded boxcar from the Caldwell Branch down inot Essex Fells just before rail removal. Do you also recall this story as well?

by njt4172

Greg,

Yes, I know what you are talking about! I believe an ex M&E employee who is now with NJT rode this box car for M&E to pick up in Essex Fells...This happened in 1977 or 78....I forgot exactly when or why it happened...I believe the box car was stranded in Verona or something....Why they didn't just bring an engine to retrieve it is beyond me...

Steve

by dave76

The old Essex Fells branch would still be strait through had it not been for them building townhouses directly on the ROW, and the Bloomfield Ave bridge cut filled in.

by railtrailbiker

Is the "JC 21" mile marker visible on Bloomfield Avenue just west of the Verona firehouse an original mile marker or a replacement?