• Small trestle in Dover

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by Aardvark

I noticed a small wooden trestle, with rails still in place in Dover today north of the crossing with North St. I tried checking the historical aerial imagery, but its not detailed enough to draw any conclusions. There were passenger platfroms on both sides of the track at one time. You can see it on google maps here. Does anybody know if there was any special purpose for this trestle or why it wasn't just filled. There's no road, or waterflow underneath, its just seems odd.
  by Sand Box John

In the microsoft bing.com bird's eye view looking east it appears to look like an abandoned hopper unloading trestle of some kind.
  by Torelli

What you see is indeed the remnants of a coal unloading trestle. There was an identical one on the opposite side of the tracks where the parking lot now stands and the foundation for a water tank. A PRR CT 1000 would probably tell you who the trestles belonged to. BTW: If you look next to the trestle you referred to you can also see the faint shadow of the spur that curved off to the left. It serviced a refigeration plant that has since been torn down. I remember seeing PC spot a refrigerated car there once when I was a kid.