Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DutchRailnut

no, a trainmen is assistent conductors as in ticket collectors. and yes bottom 60 of seniority list
  by nyrmetros

LongIslandTool wrote:It has been announced that some 60+ trainmen will be laid off in the next several months along with 20+ signal maintainers.

While some of the maintainers will be offered other employment on the Railroad, trainmen will not.

This is devastating to many of the newer employees who had felt that they found stable employment and had taken on debt and passed up other opportunities.

It is uncertain how many additional positions will be eliminated next year, but large numbers are being considered and new crew books are being prepared to assign a much reduced workforce.

What's the word on the train signalmen ?? Someone I know was just liad off from that group. Any word on what's going on?
  by condr

nyrmetros wrote:
LongIslandTool wrote:It has been announced that some 60+ trainmen will be laid off in the next several months along with 20+ signal maintainers.

What's the word on the train signalmen ?? Someone I know was just liad off from that group. Any word on what's going on?
Signal Maintainers is the job title. :wink:
  by LongIslandTool

Engineers are being furloughed also, though I am not sure of the number. Their headcount is determined by the number of trains operated. Since service cuts are not finalized, there is no concrete number for the furloughs. They will be taken back as retirements reduce their ranks or as service is restored by increasing taxes. Some will revert to their former crafts, where hopefully they can wait out the furlough. Others will be on the street.

The Railroad has also reduced the number of managers in Transportation and M of E though the ranks of Public Affairs is soaring with new hires.
  by workextra

Public Affairs is soaring with new hires.
If they can relieve them selves of this waste it would save more essential jobs and or save the carrier more money.
The "PA" dept is a waste you don't need any excess employees there, you can in fact operate with an understaffed "PA" dept.

The MTA board should not be paid either, it's not a job but a volunteer to serve the sate. because no working man can afford to be there, Most on the board are well to do persons whom can live happily and serve the public.
This will save the taxpayers millions.
  by DutchRailnut

I like the Sate, but only with Peanut sause.
I do believe that other than Jay Walder the MTA board is not paid, only compensated for expenses.
  by workextra

The money and political perks Sir Jay Walder is getting paid would go better to pay off the MTA defaecate. He should not be making more then 100K before taxes. And absolutely no political perks.
Any MTA agency employee with political perks should be required to give them up and pay the back for all the years they were assisting the MTA into a deeper cut.
As for unions it's going to get rough. Our "service economy" we live in today is Antilabor, and basically Against the Dwindling working class. Everyone want's a "service" but they don't want to pay for it, or they want it cheep.
So to satisfy the "service economy" we remove hundreds from jobs and replace them with U-scans, turnstiles, and other "smart" devices. Now the service is provided by a machine that needs to be told every step of the way what to do and is limited to what it can do. In turn the price comes down and people are now looking at another position that needs to be axed.
All this dose is keep the money flowing in the upper class and the bureaucracy and does away with the working middle class.
Proof is the MTA bureaucracy is in a deep hole and is looking to cut everyone and every thing to make the bureaucracy the almighty hero that saved the states transportation. Guess what? they'll screw it up again too.
We have our right to and opinion and the MTA created this mess and now want's to blame it all on labor and contracts, but when labor said they hired useless positions and greatly generous Straight Time salaries and perks.
Why did the MTA go on a hiring boom to "cut over time" thus "costing" them more in benefits, Because the bureaucracy got to big for it self and is blind and less the educated in shutting down the media.
Over time cost less in the long run the a benefits package, but these antilabor out of touch liberals cannot figure that out.
You cannot blame the and punish the working man for out smarting the clueless bureaucracy.
Too many chiefs and no Indians.
I'm sure we can all agree to some extent that the bureaucracy (MTA) did screw up big time when the grass was green and the rivers flowing.
  by Commuter X

When Conductors and Engineers make over 2.5 times their base pay there is a problem

How does a conductor whose base is 75K, take home a salary of 239K?

Ladies and Gentlemen, there is something fishy going on here.

If you doubt me this is all public information

Commuter X
  by RogerOverOutRR

Commuter X wrote:When Conductors and Engineers make over 2.5 times their base pay there is a problem

Commuter X
Base salary is whatever the rate of pay per hour times 40 hour work week. This does not include holidays worked (holiday pay) or built in over time a "run" has, nor other arbitrations a job may have. So base salary is commonly exceeded.
  by DutchRailnut

workextra wrote:The money and political perks Sir Jay Walder is getting paid would go better to pay off the MTA defaecate. He should not be making more then 100K before taxes. And absolutely no political perks.
Any MTA agency employee with political perks should be required to give them up and pay the back for all the years they were assisting the MTA into a deeper cut.
Mr Walders salary is very low for the size company he is in charge off, a CEO in private industry having a budget like MTA and a combined man power like MTA would earn around a million a year plus perks.

As for the overtime of those that are willing to work, and spend their life entirely on MTA property, good for them, more power too them.
I for one am not willing to work 100 hours a week, like some of them do.
As for complainers over overtime, up yours Pall, these are the people that keep the trains moving, day or night, snow or rain.
They are once willing to give up everything including family events , kids birthdays , anniversery, kids sportevents , just to make big bucks.
  by MJohnson21

Commuter X wrote:When Conductors and Engineers make over 2.5 times their base pay there is a problem

Commuter X
Well the conductor's salary they posted in Newsday a while back was in the top 5 on a roster of 1100 conductors, and there are only a handful that even make close to that, the normal salary for a conductor is more like 60-90K per year. That being said his239K salary included last 5 weeks of vacation and sick buyout, and if his sick payment was that much, that means the man prob never called off sick in a 30 year plus career and a conductor making that much is also working 12 hour days and both relief days.
  by puckhead

easy there. there is a big difference between being able to spell and able to type. most spelling errors on a forum like this are really typos. he's a conductor, not an executive secretary.
  by condr

MerrickBilly wrote:Workextra sez:
Sir Jay Walder is getting paid would go better to pay off the MTA defaecate. He should not be making more then 100K before taxes.
All this dose is keep the money flowing in the upper class and the bureaucracy
This guy is a conductor. See the highly skilled talent we're losing?
Last edited by condr on Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by 2behind1

Commuter X
Absolutely, this is all public information, including LIRR managers,MTA personnel, plus State, City, County, and Town officials that you may have issues with.

If you are willing to work thirty plus years without taking a sick day, working all holidays, nights and weekends while the "valued customers" are home imbibing and discussing those evil LIRR employees demanding you to show a monthly ticket that is reluctant to leave your wallet, then God Bless them. They are performing a service that others can't or are unwilling to do, and deserve every penny they get for putting up with ten percent the most surly, abusive, self-centered, egotistical commuters the nation has(the remaining ninety percent are decent, hardworking people who have no inferiority complex and are quite cordial).

Oh, BTW "X Marks the Spot": The average "valued customer" who commutes earns $120,000 and up.

"Willy the Whale" (Billy): Couldn't believe that was you Saturday! You're approaching El Guapo weight!
  by Fla East Coast Chris

2 behind ! i know I may be stout by no means am I EL GUapo weight...
Hey hi ya doing 2 behind 1 give me a call please you know the number.on the cell
PLUS KEY BOARD KAT GRRRRRRRR you know who you are