• NYC Bay Window Caboose Paint Schemes

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYC1956

Recommend you check with Conrail or Penn Central groups for answers.
All I can add is that the NYC bay window cabooses were re-numbered at some point from the 20000-series to 21000-series.
What happened after the cabooses became Conrail and then Penn Central property is beyond my resources.
The 22000-seeries cars are unknown to me, but you are probably correct in that they originated with a different railroad, which one, I don't know.
  by Donko142

Moving forward, looking for any pictures of a Bay window in the 21000 in NYC paint. Looking for pictures of NYC 21041, this is a bay window built in 1963 for the NYC. Looking for pictures of this caboose in NYC (or Penn Central if it ever was ??) Has anyone seen one anywhere buy any chance ? Not intrested in the 21041 in Conrail paint. Thank you very much for any input !

B e Safe DC
  by Otto Vondrak

This is a model, but this is an accurate paint scheme for NYC steel cabooses... This is a model of a lot 778 caboose, the one you're looking for is a lot 919 car.

by Otto Vondrak

Whoops, spoke too soon. There's a picture on page 111 of the New York Central Color Guide Vol. 2 that shows NYC 21039 in Century Green with a cigar band logo (built in 1963 at DSI). Volume 1 on pages 100-101 show both 21039 and 21044 in Century Green with cigar band logo.

-otto-
  by Donko142

Thanks Otto, I will get that. There's got to be a picture of that (# 21041) caboose in service somewhere out there.
Any other ideas ?

Thanks DC
  by GOLDEN-ARM

fallen flags website has tons of color pics, although none of the number you're looking for. the red ones seem rather "plain", and i see two variations on green, with a large nyc logo, and a small one, but both in the same location, on the upper left. didnt see any other color schemes, other than "as delivered" red, and the "road to the future' green.
  by Donko142

Was hoping for some more help. Does anyone know the dupont part # or paint code for the correct color of this caboose, or what this green was called for paint purposes.
The caboose in question is a N-7B # 21041 built new for the NYC 1963. I'm looking for any pictures of this caboose or a sister in the orig paint job ? Plus any info one can offer about the paint job and colors.

Thanks D. Sorry not an NYC expert, need any help I can get.
  by Donko142

Does anyone know the correct color name of the green paint applied in 1963 to the NYC cabooses ? I've been told jade green & century green ??
  by Otto Vondrak

Jade green was a Penn Central color. Century Green was an NYC color, and somewhat darker than the jade.

You might want to check with Central New York Chapter NRHS, they have a caboose on display at the Syracuse fairgrounds that is in the green cigar band paint scheme.

-otto-
  by H.F.Malone

Well Otto, I beg to differ with you-- the term "Jade Green" was indeed an NYC term; it was officially used about 1960 for the first of the green boxcars. There was a "Pacemaker Green" which was the brownish shade of dark coach green used on passenger cars (the 4500 and 4700-series ACMU cars come to mind). "Century Green" may well have been another name for the "Jade Green" shade. You are right in mentioning that the shade of the PC version of the light green was a bit different than the 1960s NYC Jade.

Remember, I'm old enough to have seen these actually on real cars in service, not just on model trains!!
  by Otto Vondrak

Fair enough! And I forgot about Pacemaker Green!

Here is a link to CNY Chapter's site that describes their NYC bay window caboose...

http://www.cnynrhs.org/freight.html
  by Donko142

Sorry folks more on the caboose, I've been working on the car inside and out. Did get the pics out of Vol & Vol 2 Otto, now I'm trying to find out what color the insides were painted ?? My hope is to get this 1963 product of the Dispatch Shop as close to orig as possible, then return it to NYC rails on the Adirondack Scenic maybe some time next year. Any info about these NYC N-7B cabooses of 63 would be very helpful. Again car in question is 21041. Inside color ?

Thank you !!
  by dti406

Also, the P&LE Berkshires were also painted in Pacemaker Green. Scalecoat was going to produce Pacemaker Green paint but never followed through with it. A friend of mine had ordered it and after a couple of years the Stock # went away in the Scalecoat product list.

Rick