• NTSB hearing on Ft. Totten

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by jkovach

NTSB wrote: 10. Train operators did not report problems with track circuit B2-304 before the accident because reductions in speed commands to maintain train separation, or even momentary losses of all speed commands, were common during train operations.
I think this may still be happening. You can see the cab signal speed display from the "railfan seat" in the front of the car, and I've been on several trains where the allowed speed periodically dropped to 0 for a second or two (causing the overspeed alarm to go off and the operator to apply the brakes) and then went back to whatever it was showing before.
NTSB wrote: To Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority:
6. Because of the susceptibility to pulse-type parasitic oscillation that can cause a loss of train detection by the Generation 2 GRS audio frequency track circuit modules, establish a program to permanently remove from service all of these modules within the Metrorail system.
This certainly makes it sound like GRS has a design defect in their product. Should be "interesting" to watch this one play out.

Undoubtedly in the aftermath of this accident and investigation there will be a lot of new rules passed (and hopefully new money provided to assist with compliance), causing Metro to clean house, replace the defective equipment, improve their monitoring systems, and the like. This will almost certainly result in improved safety on the system in the near to medium term. But ten or fifteen years down the line, will complacency set in and history begin to repeat itself? That is the $64,000 question...

Looking forward to reading the full report.
  by NellieBly

The Washington Post article about the NTSB findings stated that only one WMATA board member was even present at the press conference, and she left before NTSB went through their findings. So much for a "culture of safety". If the Board of Directors doesn't give a damn, well then, why should management?

Meanwhile, things are really spinning out of control at WMATA. I'm now seeing locked-out cars with some frequency -- never used to see them. Also, Metro's takeover of escalator maintenance from contractors has had an immediate, visible effect. I now encounter at least one dead escalator on every trip I take.

If Metro can't dispatch trains with six functioning cars, and can't keep elevators and escalators running, I don't have too much hope that they can maintain the signal system.
  by farecard

NellieBly wrote: I'm now seeing locked-out cars with some frequency -- never used to see them.

They never did that; they'd pull the consist.

I support the lockouts; it both keeps the line moving and avoids px's getting stuck in unusable carts. Plus, it makes it clear that the car is bad-ordered, and will need work.

BTW, I know one plus of {some?} non-1000's is the roof hatch lets them quickly pull the whole HVAC unit out and swap in another. The 1000's systems are intertwined and thus bad HVAC == out of service car.
  by farecard

What exactly is the BoD compensation? I recall a WashPost article on their [non]usage of the bus and rail systems they control, and I think it discussed other compensation aspects. But I can't dredge it up at present.
  by SchuminWeb

farecard wrote:BTW, I know one plus of {some?} non-1000's is the roof hatch lets them quickly pull the whole HVAC unit out and swap in another. The 1000's systems are intertwined and thus bad HVAC == out of service car.
All three Breda series have the roof hatches, as do the Alstoms (I believe). The 5000's definitely DON'T have them (see here).
  by JackRussell

SchuminWeb wrote:All three Breda series have the roof hatches, as do the Alstoms (I believe). The 5000's definitely DON'T have them (see here).
I suppose it is too early to ask whether the 7000 series will have this feature.
  by HokieNav

farecard wrote:What exactly is the BoD compensation? I recall a WashPost article on their [non]usage of the bus and rail systems they control, and I think it discussed other compensation aspects. But I can't dredge it up at present.
This morning's Examiner addresses compensation and attendance.

Pretty bleak picture, but a good gig if you can get it! Wonder if they're accepting applications?
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local ... 58089.html