• Railroads near Virginia Beach

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by Gunsnclapton

Well, I'm goin down to virginia beach with my family next week. Any good railroad sights to see??
  by atsf sp

by Gunsnclapton

any tourist railroads I can visit?
  by atsf sp

Bay Coast occasionally runs excursions in an Edwards motor car. But I do not know their operating schedule.
The excursion site http://www.baycreekrailway.com/
  by SemperFidelis

There's a new light rail line under construction in the city of Norfolk. To the south of the city there is the Chesapeake and Arlebemarle (sp?) railroad that runs from Norfolk to Elizabeth City, NC and points beyond.
  by Nelson Bay

Is the Chesapeake and Albemarle the former Norfolk and Southern that crossed Albemarle Sound over the 5 mile bridge?
  by SemperFidelis

Yes it is. Many of the piers were still visible last time I visited the north side of the old bridge (3 years ago now).
  by Nelson Bay

Thanks, I thought it might be. I had a cab ride over the bridge years ago on the N&S new GP38's. The speed limit was 5mph so we were over the water for an hour.
  by SemperFidelis

Yeah, that's not for me. I hate being over water in anything smaller than an Aegis Cruiser. Even the little bridges on the some of the shortlines I get to ride are enough to make a shiver go up the old spine.