• Local MA freights

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

are any locls working out of Middleboro, Readville or Framingham today? 12/24?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

well B735 didn't work today, so i figured that no local yard freights worked today :(

by CSX Conductor

Christmas Eve Day & Christmas Day are paid holidays off for lcals and most yard jobs.

The company's intention was to get all road crews back to their home terminal by midnight last night.

Road crews will resume working tonight after midnight.

by CSX Conductor

BTW, before you ask, the locals will not be running on New Years' eve day either. :wink:

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

hahaha, thanks, i would have eventually asked :-D
  by kwf

Do any of you work this route, or can share some insight on the ops of this line?

tyia

by CSX Conductor

What would you like to know? I will try to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability. :wink:

by kwf

All right,

I've noticed that there are gons for junkyard, center beams for the lumber yard, etc... where do the tanks go? I've seen that cars are often left on the elevated section in Clinton, and I can't place where the tanks are going. I figured they were going to Leominster or something. Same as with the box cars. Also, is the Sterling customer still recieving cars?(old Agway) Are there other customers in Sterling?. I usually see the local in the afternoon (bolton/clinton/sterling) when driving home from work. Does the local work elsewhere on this line in the AM or another line? Just looking for basics/anecdotes/war stories.

Thanks!

by CSX Conductor

That would be B724, which runs out of Framingham M-F. The tank cars might be empties from Kens Food or perhaps Safety-Kleen in Marlboro. Covered hoppers go to the Leominster yard. The gondolas are for Reisner Scrap in Clinton.

I haven't been up there in a long time, sorry I can't help much now. :(

by kwf

I hadn't figured that the tanks were from farther south on the line. I've seen some long(not mainline long) freights, considering it's a branch through the country-side, for the most part.

A little history?

There was an abandoned factory on the junk yard spur, across the street from the current end of track where the apts are being built, anybody remember what that was, and I don't mean Wheat a bix.

by CSX Conductor

kwf wrote:I hadn't figured that the tanks were from farther south on the line.
They have to drag everything north with them since it is single track except for the runaround @ Clinton. Every customer has to be done while heading North except for one in Northborough or Marlboro, I forget. This is because all of the customer sidings (except for the one mentioned) are trailing point switches when travelling Northward.

by kwf

Thanks for the info. I've lived out that way a couple years, but haven't gotten alot of chances to check things out closely. But between that line and the B&M line, there is a little action everyday.