• Former LI, Mercersburg, Falls Creek S-2 on NY&LE?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by trainspot

I'm trying to find out if there is still an Alco S-2, possibly at Gowanda, NY on the NY&LE. It has a craked block, supposedly, and may have the number 62 or 2. Would anyone have a photo of it?
Thanks!

by scottychaos

last time I was back in the Gowanda yard, about 2 years ago, there were 3 Alco s-type switchers in the yard..
9078 - in dark B&O blue with full B&O markings showing.
looks like its B&O number was 2078.
has a newer 9078 stenceled on the cab door.

76 - in solid blue and lettered for NYLE.
looks like a Conrail blue

and the remnants of 62.
red cab, part of the long hood is gone, engine open to the sky.
black and yellow alternating stripes along the frame..
it was close-quarters so I wasnt anle to get good shots of the whole units..just tight shots from the front or rear..
I can scan them at work on Monday if you want to see them.
I would bet they are all still there rotting away.

its still listed on this roster:
http://www.thedieselshop.us/NYLE.HTML

Scot
  by trainspot

Please do! I would love to see the photos, as would a few LIRR fans/friends. Thanks Scot!

by scottychaos

ok! I will scan and post the photo Monday morning..
and a few of the other engines too.
I only have one shot that shows the #61, and its just a shot of the rear of the cab and part of the side..
there were other locos and cars on both sides of it, so it was impossible to get a good clear side view. but I wil post it!
should be able to tell if its the loco you want..I doubt it has been repainted in a long time.
So if your engine had a red cab and yellow/black safety stripes along the frame before it went to the NYLE, then thats your engine!
Scot