• Locked up brakes

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by lexon

A fellow in out club has a hot dog stand just slightly west of the CSX yard in West Springfield MA at a local road crossing. Hi stand is about 50 feet from the rails. Also a pretty good train watching spot at times.
Very recently a freight was heading west and he noticed one car had a truck with the wheels not turning. Also no noise which seemed a little unusual. He manged to make a cell phone call to the yard crew who managed to take care of this issue. The brakes were locked up.
The engineer of that train the next day gave him a thumbs up for the observation.
The yard supervisor has told workers to get hot dogs at the stand.

Rich
  by roadster

Nice catch and kudos to the Hotdog man. May have saved a costly and life threatening mess. The noise issue is not surprising. I have seen a number of locked wheels slidding along and usually only make a hissing sound. You have to remember this is polished steel sliding on polished steel. Again, Nice catch.
  by lexon

I stopped there today for lunch. He keeps a scanner handy.
The car knocker did stop by and order hot dogs.
I just missed and east bound and west bound.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/ ... G_1356.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FCIpTo__oI

The video ends up looking east toward the CSX yard which is about 3/4 miles away.

Reading Classics Trains 2010 with stand owner nearby.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/ ... G_1363.jpg

Rich
  by Gadfly

That was something that even line-of-road clerks were told to watch for and why we, too, were told to go outside at outlying stations to watch cars by. I've caught this myself, the sliding wheel thing, but, at least, I had a radio to alert the crew.

GF
  by CSX Conductor

lexon wrote:A fellow in out club has a hot dog stand just slightly west of the CSX yard in West Springfield MA at a local road crossing. Hi stand is about 50 feet from the rails. Also a pretty good train watching spot at times.
Very recently a freight was heading west and he noticed one car had a truck with the wheels not turning. Also no noise which seemed a little unusual. He manged to make a cell phone call to the yard crew who managed to take care of this issue. The brakes were locked up.
The engineer of that train the next day gave him a thumbs up for the observation.

Rich
Nice of you to point out on the inernet that the yard crew was in violation of the FRA's electronic device ban. Kudos.
  by lexon

CSX Conductor wrote:
lexon wrote:A fellow in out club has a hot dog stand just slightly west of the CSX yard in West Springfield MA at a local road crossing. Hi stand is about 50 feet from the rails. Also a pretty good train watching spot at times.

Rich
Nice of you to point out on the inernet that the yard crew was in violation of the FRA's electronic device ban. Kudos.
I was told the wheels were not making any noise and where the car knocker was is a very noisy area. Car knocker was not found at fault the last I knew. He has been back to the hot dog stand a few times.
By the way, the hot dog stand owner used his own cell phone to call the CSX yard office phone.
A retired West Springfield police officer in our club who has a gun shop nearby and also a train watcher gave the stand owner the yard office CSX phone number.
Your sure jumped to a conclusion.

Went back today for a while. I was standing right in front of the hot dog stand.
Saw one freight. I was hoping to see a UPS Priority freight but not today.
There was a trash train passing just before I got to the site. Had to wait for train to finish passing.
Sometimes there are a couple locos pulling as many as 90 empty cars for carrying motor vehicles. Many of the rolling stock are UP labeled heading West.
Not as many heading East when loaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HyH6FOlc6o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN96StbRDBk

Rich
  by CSX Conductor

lexon wrote: By the way, the hot dog stand owner used his own cell phone to call the CSX yard office phone.
A retired West Springfield police officer in our club who has a gun shop nearby and also a train watcher gave the stand owner the yard office CSX phone number.
Your sure jumped to a conclusion.
I didn't jump to a conclusion, just read your post the way it was writtten that you "contacted the yard crew". That's where it sounded as though you had call the yard crew on one of the yard crew members' cell phones. Sorry, just reading what was posted.